Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toungue Tie and shield

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • 12 Replies

A little background: My daughter was born 5 weeks early and we had difficulty latching at her first feeding so the nurse had me put on a shield. Ever since that thing has been the bane of my existence as I tried over and over to wean her from it using the tips on kellymom. At her two month checkup the thought popped into my head that I had heard some ladies in here talking about tongue ties and maybe that was why she couldn't be weaned from the shield. I asked my doctor who looked at me like I was crazy and after looking confirmed she had a tie, not complete but enough to consider clipping. She didn't give me any further info at the time because there are more pressing medical concerns (abnormal murmur). My question is, should I just keep using the shield or should I get the tie clipped? Any choice I make would be after we have the murmur looked at and hopefully resolved. I just don't really know anything about tongue ties or the procedure to fix them.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Get the tie clipped
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I'd get the tie clipped STAT. 

You could keep using the shield forever, but I'd get the tie clipped.

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Get that tie clipped! My youngest was badly tongue tied and clipping his made a world of difference!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd get the tie clipped STAT. 

You could keep using the shield forever, but I'd get the tie clipped.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Quoting all the ladies above Get it Clipped. Its not a major thing and from what ive read about it the baby will be sucking normally very soon after its done.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM
If its not a complete tongue tie, it's highly probable a posterior tongue tie (also check for lip tie). If its not properly clipped, you may still have difficulties. Very few drs know how to do it :/ I can get you more info when I'm not mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

i would get it clipped, but make sure the anethesiologist knows about the murmur

BroCosMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM
My oldest son had a heart murmur they *usualy* outgrow them he's almost 3 and still has it no issues but we have to keep a close eye on it as for the tounge tie my youngest has one is now 3 months old is still tounge tied and he still struggles to latch would I change it and get it snipped...NO! From research I've done it's not worth it ideally its up to you it's doable but tough although for us it's getting easier by the day good luck :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Get it clipped asap!

Here's a list of qualified docs: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

Char07
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Yes get it clipped!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)