Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning 13 month old, but she won't drink regular milk... What to do??

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 23 Replies
I just found out that I'm 7 weeks pregnant. I'm exhausted and dd just started sleeping through the night. She's 13 months and I'm starting to wean but she won't drink cows milk or goats milk. I've tried warming it up, mixing it with my bm and even tried putting organic cocoa in it. Does anyone know if I can do almond or silk milk, or go from skim, 1%, 2% to whole till she gets used to the thickness? Please help if you can!!
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imultracool
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I would ask your pedi.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Maybe she doesn't like it? When my son weaned he didn't drink any other milk, he's 5 now and has had no issues. He drinks water and homemade tea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShesALady
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
My kids hated cows milk too. I weaned them at a year and they'd only drink small amounts of cows milk for the longest time. I think she'll be ok with just regular food and water and juices. I would make cereal with some milk and they'd get it that way or use it to make mashed potatoes or Mac and Cheese.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this
There's really no need for any milk, especially cows milk. Water and a healthy diet is all that's needed. But if you want to try other milks, no harm in trying. I'd avoid soy tho, that stuff isn't good for anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Water is dandy. Mine was completely underwhelmed by ANY milk as a toddler and to this day will take water first.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

If you really want to give her milk then I would do Almond. Cow milk is kinda hard on the tummy and Goat milk tastes real bad, (in my opinion) . If you dont want to nurse her anymore then try pumping until she gets use to not drinking from the breast...

larissalarie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

There's really no need for any milk, especially cows milk. Water and a healthy diet is all that's needed. But if you want to try other milks, no harm in trying. I'd avoid soy tho, that stuff isn't good for anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

milk is never needed in anyones diet, dont stress.  Cows milk only has a bit of protein, calcium and Vit D, find different sources for that

K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Find other sources of calcium (almond or coconut milk, yogurt, cheese, salmon, greens), protein (meats, cheese, nut butters), fat (avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, salmon), and vitamin d (supplement, sunshine) and you're golden.

Anbinkley
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Awesome!!!! I've been thinking she needs some sort of milk since I won't be bfing her anymore. She gets plenty of water and is starting to enjoy juice. Loves cheese and yogurt as well!!! Thank you so much. So even though people tell me to give her milk (even her pedi), she's ok not having it? Should I start givin her multi vitamin drops everyday? She still gets the vitamin d drops everyday as well. Thanks for the advice :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)