Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two Questions...

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

My dd is 8mos old and our breastfeeding relationship has been great so far. I am starting to encounter a few issues that I could use some advice with.

The first is easy- she's teething and I would like to make breastmilk pops for her to suck on. Any suggestions on the best way to freeze my milk to make it easy for her to suck on? Should I just freeze it around a pacifier?

My second question is a bit more in depth. I have noticed in the last month or so a significant decrease in my milk supply. Pump output is way down, and while I know that it not a good indicator, I also notice a decrease while baby is at the breast. She will empty one and still seem to be hungry. I am worried that I am not making enough to satisfy her for a long enough period of time. This is especially noticeable and worrisome the days she is cutting teeth because she clings to me and I feel bled dry. I think this may all have to do with the fact that my period returned about six weeks ago.  I want to try something so that I am not constantly attached to either a child or a pump. I have found a few recipes for lactation cookies that contain oats, flaxseed, and brewers yeast that I am going to try. I also bought Mother's Milk tea. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SadieJames
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1) mesh teethers and freeze in ice cube tray. Or miniature ice cube tray.
2) how are her diapers? She could just be clingy because of teething. I doubt your supply is a problem if you're still nursing on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themissheather
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1) thanks
2) diapers are good. Sometimes it seems to me that she's still hungry and not getting enough, even though I nurse on demand. I'm going to start working 4 days a week soon (up from 3) and I want to make sure I can keep nursing until she's at least 2.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM
I agree ^^^ on both points.

By 8 months she should be ridiculously efficient as getting down to business in just a few minutes.

I tried the tea but didn't realize how many cups they recommend to even notice a difference. It was like half a box every day. Always nurse before solids. As long as you allow her to nurse on demand its mist likely your supply will follow her lead. If she's got the wet diapers than you've got the milk to make that happen.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Awesome goal! After a year, most moms dump the pump and just nurse when they're with the baby after work and weekends. Nursing toddlers is actually easier, usually, except for the usual toddler nonsense- because its your *back up plan* instead of main course, so you can work it into your schedule instead of having to schedule your world around it.

Quoting themissheather:

1) thanks

2) diapers are good. Sometimes it seems to me that she's still hungry and not getting enough, even though I nurse on demand. I'm going to start working 4 days a week soon (up from 3) and I want to make sure I can keep nursing until she's at least 2.
themissheather
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Oh really? Dump the pump at a year? I'm so afraid of that, lol, like I will just dry up one day at work. Thanks for the support! She's my first so I'm still learning.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Awesome goal! After a year, most moms dump the pump and just nurse when they're with the baby after work and weekends. Nursing toddlers is actually easier, usually, except for the usual toddler nonsense- because its your *back up plan* instead of main course, so you can work it into your schedule instead of having to schedule your world around it.

Quoting themissheather:

1) thanks

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM
After a year the baby can drink water when you're separated. Trust me, the baby will make up for it later and your supply will adjust accordingly and every evening the milk will be there just as she's ordered. You might hit a point where she nurses only once a day for a few months and then kicks it back up to 4 times and your body will literally go with the flow.

Quoting themissheather:

Oh really? Dump the pump at a year? I'm so afraid of that, lol, like I will just dry up one day at work. Thanks for the support! She's my first so I'm still learning.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting themissheather:

1) thanks

themissheather
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM
So that's how it works. :-) Thank you - that's really helpful.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

After a year the baby can drink water when you're separated. Trust me, the baby will make up for it later and your supply will adjust accordingly and every evening the milk will be there just as she's ordered. You might hit a point where she nurses only once a day for a few months and then kicks it back up to 4 times and your body will literally go with the flow.

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting themissheather:

1) thanks

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Yes! After a year, your supply is fully established and will adjust to the ebb and flow of toddler nursing. My son goes to his dad's for a week at a time and I have milk whenever he wants to nurse when he's here.

Quoting themissheather:

So that's how it works. :-) Thank you - that's really helpful.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting themissheather:

1) thanks

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)