Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sudden increase in milk supply

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
this week my milk supply just increased. DS is 12 months and has been nursing every 3-4 hours as usual but my breasts are always full and often are engorged. I tried pumping and my breasts still stay full. I'm so tired of this ;(
just wanted to vent..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

It's so tough when you think things are regulated and another kink gets thrown your way....  I wish I could give you better advice than if you pump, you'll only tell your body to produce more.  :(

aniters
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM
I know but its just so painful. I can't even carry DS without it hurting :(
*sigh

Quoting GoodyBrook:

It's so tough when you think things are regulated and another kink gets thrown your way....  I wish I could give you better advice than if you pump, you'll only tell your body to produce more.  :(

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

DO NOT pump. It will make things worse.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Try hand expressing to relieve the encouragement. No pumping...that will signal your body to produce more.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

DONT PUMP that tells your body to make more. Just hand express enough to take the edge off. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
What they said. Hand express just enough for relief. It won't last forever. (((HUGS)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Use a warm rice sock. Get a long sock and put white rice and tie it off well. Microwave for a minute or so. Works great for making engorgement feel better
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Are you eating any new foods or more of a food you don't typically eat a lot fo of?  I had that happen a month or two ago (and my LO is 33 months--way past engorgement stage here!) when I discovered chia seeds were awesome and I was throwing them into everything... turns out they're a galactagogue.  Oatmeal cookies, flaxseed, almonds, and some other foods can sneakily raise supply.  You can hand express to comfort or just wait it out.

aniters
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM
no I've been eating the same food I always eat :(

Quoting K8wizzo:

Are you eating any new foods or more of a food you don't typically eat a lot fo of?  I had that happen a month or two ago (and my LO is 33 months--way past engorgement stage here!) when I discovered chia seeds were awesome and I was throwing them into everything... turns out they're a galactagogue.  Oatmeal cookies, flaxseed, almonds, and some other foods can sneakily raise supply.  You can hand express to comfort or just wait it out.

aniters
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to try that! thanks :)

Quoting svolkov:

Use a warm rice sock. Get a long sock and put white rice and tie it off well. Microwave for a minute or so. Works great for making engorgement feel better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)