Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Jerking, crying, and shaking when breastfed?

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:10 AM
  • 22 Replies

I've posted about this before, but the problem is getting a little stranger...well, I'm not sure if it's normal. But when it comes time to feed my 3 month old, it's a challenge half of the time. She will open her mouth for the boob and as soon as it enters her mouth, she presses her face into my boob as hard as she can, flails her arms around, "motorboats" with her face pressed, and makes all kinds of gargles and distress cries. All with her mouth wide open, not latched. When I hold her arms down and make her be still to latch on and nurse, she jerks her head back, turns bright red and cries SO hard...like I'm hurting her. When I let go, she goes back to the same behavior. 
She has not nursed for hours and is so fussy, but goes into these weird fits. She even had an outburst in public, while I was trying to nurse her today! This is a new thing she started doing. I'm so tired..please help? What's her deal? :( 

Edit- I don't think it is teething, because she is not even latching. 

by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dark_xiii_angel
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:21 AM
She maybe overly hungry. She's so ready to eat and can't settle down enough to actually latch on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM
My son did this, probably growth spurt and she isnt getting as much as she wants. Just keep offering it to her. She will suck, i literally fought my son to bf during growth spurts, and its hell. But she will live, and be fine. Just keep offering, even if she is pissed.
japanmommy
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:33 AM
Sometimes I have to get up and walk while nursing. Takes a bit of practice lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Ugh. Such confusing little creatures. She acts like I am hurting her each time I feed her, and sqirms so bad. It's upsetting!! How long did it take for your son to stop? It's been going on for a few weeks..

Quoting saraface5383:

My son did this, probably growth spurt and she isnt getting as much as she wants. Just keep offering it to her. She will suck, i literally fought my son to bf during growth spurts, and its hell. But she will live, and be fine. Just keep offering, even if she is pissed.

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Sometimes that works for me, but yeah! She is a heavy and squirmy little chunk. I'm getting better, though!

Quoting japanmommy:

japanmommy
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 4:14 AM
Mine is four months and it's getting better. Hang in there :)

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Sometimes that works for me, but yeah! She is a heavy and squirmy little chunk. I'm getting better, though!

Quoting japanmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 4:59 AM
My almost 3 month old is doing the same thing. It's driving me crazy.
Jenoon
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:28 AM
omg my son does the same thing and he will be 3 months old on New Years. i literally have to walk with him for a few minutes to calm him down enough to latch on. Sometimes Its soi bad that he will refuse to nurse until he sleeps. he cries soo much.
MumsTheWord571
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:32 AM
Try nursing in a wrap to save your arms while walking and offer before you think she's hungry.
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM
do you have an overactive letdown or.oversupply? Any signs of an allergy?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN