Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

drinking and breast feeding.

Posted by   + Show Post
Can someone tell me how it works when you want to drink while breast feeding because I could use a drink right about now.
Thank you
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kimberly954
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I go by this. I feed baby then have my glass of wine.

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.
As long as you can drive you can nurse. Those test strips give false results.

Quoting MsRkg:

You can drink whenever you like. Just make sure that you pump at least a days worth of milk prior to drinking for baby and then get the alcohol testing strips for a few bucks and test your breast milk (usually about 8-10 hours) after your drink to make sure there is no alcohol left in your system before your breastfeed baby.thats what I would do.

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM
I've nursed a beer while nursing. :). Safe to drive, safe to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ONE glass of wine? Fine. ONE bear? Also fine. ONE shot? ALSO fine.

Stinko drunk... not so hot.

One of our mods tested the strip while 100% sober... and pregnant. It came up showing alcohol! Save your money and avoid the strips.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks forthelay ou of numbers :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Just because you did or didn't do something doesn't make it correct information. A day of bottle feeding unnecessarily could ruin a breastfeeding relationship for no good reason.

I researched extensively before I was ok with drinking and breastfeeding. You are completely wrong about needing a days worth of milk pumped.

*IF* you even drink enough for it to enter your milk, only about 2% max of the alcohol you drink gets into your milk. So even if you're drinking strong drinks, say 10% alcohol content, 2% of 10% is .2%. That's not enough alcohol do anything, let alone if you wait until you feel clear headed again and the number would be even further reduced.
Quoting MsRkg:

I never went by that safe to drive safe to nurse method because of the way alcohol metabolizes. Even though you might feel sober enough to drive there might still be alcohol in you system. I would just do the estimate math with alcohol and weight , wait two hours after that calculated time. and then use the strips.

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.

Quoting MsRkg:

You can drink whenever you like. Just make sure that you pump at least a days worth of milk prior to drinking for baby and then get the alcohol testing strips for a few bucks and test your breast milk (usually about 8-10 hours) after your drink to make sure there is no alcohol left in your system before your breastfeed baby.thats what I would do.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

ONE glass of wine? Fine. ONE bear? Also fine. ONE shot? ALSO fine.

Stinko drunk... not so hot.

One of our mods tested the strip while 100% sober... and pregnant. It came up showing alcohol! Save your money and avoid the strips.

LOL

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SuperMom2433:

had to giggle, you've nursed a beer?

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Lol. ;)

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting SuperMom2433:

had to giggle, you've nursed a beer?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayla-Kay
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

if your drunk don't nurse

if you enjoy a drink go ahead and nurse 

I still haven't enjoyed a nice "adult" breverage since having my daughter simplay because I have heard that drinking can sabatoge the let down reflex, and can destroy breast feeding, however by the time she is 6 months old I plan on enjoying at least 1 drink because all mothers deserve a chance to kick back and relax. 

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM
If you're drunk, you can't care for a baby, regardless of feeding method!

I actually drink WHILE nursing, or shortly afterwards, so I can have a break before I nurse again.

Have one drink and enjoy it! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Really? I just happened across this post because I was wondering the same thing. My mom told me one time that if I even had a wine cooler and I nursed my son if something would happen and I had to take him to the ER within the next 24hours they would take him away :( I was so shocked I never drank until I did have almost a days worth of milk pumped lol but I mean I never drank crazy Even before I had lo.

Quoting larissalarie:

Just because you did or didn't do something doesn't make it correct information. A day of bottle feeding unnecessarily could ruin a breastfeeding relationship for no good reason.

I researched extensively before I was ok with drinking and breastfeeding. You are completely wrong about needing a days worth of milk pumped.

*IF* you even drink enough for it to enter your milk, only about 2% max of the alcohol you drink gets into your milk. So even if you're drinking strong drinks, say 10% alcohol content, 2% of 10% is .2%. That's not enough alcohol do anything, let alone if you wait until you feel clear headed again and the number would be even further reduced.
Quoting MsRkg:

I never went by that safe to drive safe to nurse method because of the way alcohol metabolizes. Even though you might feel sober enough to drive there might still be alcohol in you system. I would just do the estimate math with alcohol and weight , wait two hours after that calculated time. and then use the strips.

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.

Quoting MsRkg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)