Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

drinking and breast feeding.

Posted by   + Show Post
Can someone tell me how it works when you want to drink while breast feeding because I could use a drink right about now.
Thank you
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Replies (21-29):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Yeah really. Your mom was perpetuating a common misconception that can be a barrier to breastfeeding for some (not being able to drink wouldn't keep me from breastfeeding, but for many the thought of another year or longer without a drink after pregnancy is too much)

I personally didn't drink at all with my oldest (too young), but I have had a couple of drinks a night or two most weeks with my younger two after they were a past the newborn stage. They are completely fine and have always been ahead developmentally, just like my child I didn't drink with.
Quoting IansMommy2012:

Really? I just happened across this post because I was wondering the same thing. My mom told me one time that if I even had a wine cooler and I nursed my son if something would happen and I had to take him to the ER within the next 24hours they would take him away :( I was so shocked I never drank until I did have almost a days worth of milk pumped lol but I mean I never drank crazy Even before I had lo.

Quoting larissalarie:

Just because you did or didn't do something doesn't make it correct information. A day of bottle feeding unnecessarily could ruin a breastfeeding relationship for no good reason.

I researched extensively before I was ok with drinking and breastfeeding. You are completely wrong about needing a days worth of milk pumped.

*IF* you even drink enough for it to enter your milk, only about 2% max of the alcohol you drink gets into your milk. So even if you're drinking strong drinks, say 10% alcohol content, 2% of 10% is .2%. That's not enough alcohol do anything, let alone if you wait until you feel clear headed again and the number would be even further reduced.
Quoting MsRkg:

I never went by that safe to drive safe to nurse method because of the way alcohol metabolizes. Even though you might feel sober enough to drive there might still be alcohol in you system. I would just do the estimate math with alcohol and weight , wait two hours after that calculated time. and then use the strips.

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.

As long as you can drive you can nurse. Those test strips give false results.

Quoting MsRkg:

You can drink whenever you like. Just make sure that you pump at least a days worth of milk prior to drinking for baby and then get the alcohol testing strips for a few bucks and test your breast milk (usually about 8-10 hours) after your drink to make sure there is no alcohol left in your system before your breastfeed baby.thats what I would do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I have drank a small glass of wine while nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Yea drinking for me was nothing. I was legal before I gave birth but I didn't care. I planned to breast feed anyway. But my mom totally was absent downer not that drinking really bugged me but we did go out for dh's birthday and lo was 4 months old something like that. Granted maybe that was to young but I had one daiquiri and nursed him prolly 3 hours later and it never affected him he's 8months old now and developing JUST FINE lol

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah really. Your mom was perpetuating a common misconception that can be a barrier to breastfeeding for some (not being able to drink wouldn't keep me from breastfeeding, but for many the thought of another year or longer without a drink after pregnancy is too much)

I personally didn't drink at all with my oldest (too young), but I have had a couple of drinks a couple of nights per week with my younger two after they were a past the newborn stage. They are completely fine and have always been ahead developmentally, just like my child I didn't drink with.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Really? I just happened across this post because I was wondering the same thing. My mom told me one time that if I even had a wine cooler and I nursed my son if something would happen and I had to take him to the ER within the next 24hours they would take him away :( I was so shocked I never drank until I did have almost a days worth of milk pumped lol but I mean I never drank crazy Even before I had lo.

Quoting larissalarie:

Just because you did or didn't do something doesn't make it correct information. A day of bottle feeding unnecessarily could ruin a breastfeeding relationship for no good reason.

I researched extensively before I was ok with drinking and breastfeeding. You are completely wrong about needing a days worth of milk pumped.

*IF* you even drink enough for it to enter your milk, only about 2% max of the alcohol you drink gets into your milk. So even if you're drinking strong drinks, say 10% alcohol content, 2% of 10% is .2%. That's not enough alcohol do anything, let alone if you wait until you feel clear headed again and the number would be even further reduced.
Quoting MsRkg:

I never went by that safe to drive safe to nurse method because of the way alcohol metabolizes. Even though you might feel sober enough to drive there might still be alcohol in you system. I would just do the estimate math with alcohol and weight , wait two hours after that calculated time. and then use the strips.

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.

Quoting MsRkg:

You can drink whenever you like. Just make sure that you pump at least a days worth of milk prior to drinking for baby and then get the alcohol testing strips for a few bucks and test your breast milk (usually about 8-10 hours) after your drink to make sure there is no alcohol left in your system before your breastfeed baby.thats what I would do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Nope, what you did was completely fine :-)

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Yea drinking for me was nothing. I was legal before I gave birth but I didn't care. I planned to breast feed anyway. But my mom totally was absent downer not that drinking really bugged me but we did go out for dh's birthday and lo was 4 months old something like that. Granted maybe that was to young but I had one daiquiri and nursed him prolly 3 hours later and it never affected him he's 8months old now and developing JUST FINE lol

Quoting larissalarie:

I personally didn't drink at all with my oldest (too young), but I have had a couple of drinks a couple of nights per week with my younger two after they were a past the newborn stage. They are completely fine and have always been ahead developmentally, just like my child I didn't drink with.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MsRkg:

Quoting melindabelcher:

nope.

Quoting MsRkg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginachan
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I agree! Safe to Drive, safe to nurse! You CAN have the occasional couple of beers or glas of wine, and still BF! "Lord Knows" I sure needed it when my LO was teeney... That said, take it easy with yourself and with your BF relationship woth your LO!

I' have learned the Hard Way ( and from watching my other BF Mommy-friends  (whom share the lactation room with me at work), that the more I stress over EVERY LITTLE thing involved with BF'ing, the harder it got, and the less milk I produced.

Have your drink, enjoy some quiet time, and enjoy your baby! They only stay small for a short time!

addyangel
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked my LC this exact question last nite as I planned to go out after work with a few friends and I wanted to have a drink or two. She said the body digests alcohol at a rate of 1 drink an hour. In 2 hours, if you have only a drink or 2, all the alcohol should be out of your system. The amount of alcohol in your milk is so small it probably won't affect your baby anyway. However, if you feel drunk at the time your baby wants to nurse, you should feed him/her expressed milk. I pumped and dumped once anyway, just because I'm pretty nervous about any little trace of alcohol in my system.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Alcohol is metabolized out of yoru milk at the same rate as it is out of your blood, though only when that milk is actually in your body.  Unless you need to pump to relieve engorgement, there's no need to pump and dump as it doesn't remove "tainted" milk--that milk would be free of alcohol as soon as you no longer feel a buzz.

Quoting addyangel:

I asked my LC this exact question last nite as I planned to go out after work with a few friends and I wanted to have a drink or two. She said the body digests alcohol at a rate of 1 drink an hour. In 2 hours, if you have only a drink or 2, all the alcohol should be out of your system. The amount of alcohol in your milk is so small it probably won't affect your baby anyway. However, if you feel drunk at the time your baby wants to nurse, you should feed him/her expressed milk. I pumped and dumped once anyway, just because I'm pretty nervous about any little trace of alcohol in my system.

addyangel
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
I know! I'm just anal about it, and it hadn't been quite an hour after I had my drinks and I wanted to go to bed, and wasn't planning on waking up to pump! :-)

Quoting K8wizzo:

Alcohol is metabolized out of yoru milk at the same rate as it is out of your blood, though only when that milk is actually in your body.  Unless you need to pump to relieve engorgement, there's no need to pump and dump as it doesn't remove "tainted" milk--that milk would be free of alcohol as soon as you no longer feel a buzz.

Quoting addyangel:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I personally have a glass of wine almost every night. Usually it's after my dd nurses and then we lay her down to sleep cause she NEVER wakes up before 2 am to nurse and I'm in bed by 10pm every night so even if I have 2 or 3 I know it will be fine.

Sometimes I'll have one small glass of wine before her evening nuse session but she has pretty much made her own scehdule so I know not to bring anymore than that before she goes to sleep.

I don't believe in the pump and dump method. You're wasting milk and like others have said... bottles can ruin a bfing relationship. It's not worth it. You CAN find time to have a drink and still enjoy things you love and be safe at the same time. :-)

Good luck and go enjoy that down time! :-D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)