Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding mom kicked out of Hollister in Galleria Mall in Houston UPDATE! SECOND UPDATE WITH PICTURES FROM AROUND THE NATION!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/20436355/2012/12/27/breast-feeding-mom-says-hollister-manager-threw-her-out  I'm in the general area, so I'm going to go in there tomorrow if I can and breast feed just to tick them off. If they try to kick me out I'm going to say, "Ok, I just need to make a couple of calls first. Gotta call Fox News and my lawyer." hehehe.

ETA: I did it! Parking is a nightmare at the Galleria! Nobody hassled me, though. Pic on p. 5

The official nurse in was today. I wanted to go back to the Galleria again but dh was having a fit about it so we compromised and I nursed in at the Woodlands Mall which is closer to us. Here's the pics.At first I was by myself, but then this Momma showed up.

This is Brittany Warfield. She's the mother who started it all when she was kicked out of the Hollister in the Galleria Mall in Houston. :)

Lakeland square mall, (I don't think the pic was labeled with  the state). These women are being told by security that they can't sit, but they can stand.

This one is somewhere in Fl.

Willowbrook Mall, NJ

This woman, and her two friends in Concord Mall in Delaware were harrassed by security. Here is a link to the story on them... http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/07/16389791-breast-feeding-moms-say-they-were-harassed-by-security-at-delaware-mall?lite  It doesn't look like it's going to be clicky, but if not I'm not sure how to make it clicky...

There's many more stories and pics from this nationwide event here... http://www.facebook.com/jennie.cashmere#!/events/191004591024062/192818427509345/?notif_t=event_mall_reply

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

In  carrier or mom just holding and walking. ;)

Quoting holly85:

Where in that store could you bf?!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM
It probably wouldn't be good to just sit on the floor. They CAN kick you out if you're sitting somewhere you shouldn't be and sitting on the floor could be a safety hazard.

Quoting loisl25:

I don't even know, but I'll figure out a way even if I have to sit on the floor. The baby will have my nice soft arms and lap so it's ok. :)

Quoting holly85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM
I agree. The mom in the original story found a place to sit, so anyone nursing in should sit where she sat.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It probably wouldn't be good to just sit on the floor. They CAN kick you out if you're sitting somewhere you shouldn't be and sitting on the floor could be a safety hazard.

Quoting loisl25:

I don't even know, but I'll figure out a way even if I have to sit on the floor. The baby will have my nice soft arms and lap so it's ok. :)

Quoting holly85:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DieselsMom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM

The stores are private companies.. they can make their own rules...and not having a nipple out can be one of them..she could have sat on a sofa in the mall, instead of INSIDE the hollister store, besides who wants to spend that much time in the store? they stink!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Considering that "Under Texas law, moms are allowed to breast-feed in public", how can they say: "The Galleria welcomes and supports a mother's right to breast-feed her child in public.  There is no policy at the Galleria that prohibits a mother from breast-feeding wherever she may choose and we strongly encourage our retailers to do the same," Galleria Mall's general manager Greg Noble says.

They strongly encourage their retailers to abide by the LAW? They couldn't legally make a policy prohibiting a mother from breast feeding there. Why do they want a big pat on the back for saying they are complying with the law?

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Isn't Hollister the store where it looks like a beach house and there are chairs as part of their store front?

Quoting TTC2Long:

I agree. The mom in the original story found a place to sit, so anyone nursing in should sit where she sat.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting holly85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this
"I laid her in my lap. I took her hooded jacket and draped it around her head and I covered myself. That way, no one could see me nursing," she says.

I don't believe that there was any nipples to be seen, it sounds like she was trying to be modest, unless you count the nipples of the models they use to show off their products.

Quoting DieselsMom:

The stores are private companies.. they can make their own rules...and not having a nipple out can be one of them..she could have sat on a sofa in the mall, instead of INSIDE the hollister store, besides who wants to spend that much time in the store? they stink!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Considering that "Under Texas law, moms are allowed to breast-feed in public", how can they say: "The Galleria welcomes and supports a mother's right to breast-feed her child in public.  There is no policy at the Galleria that prohibits a mother from breast-feeding wherever she may choose and we strongly encourage our retailers to do the same," Galleria Mall's general manager Greg Noble says.

They strongly encourage their retailers to abide by the LAW? They couldn't legally make a policy prohibiting a mother from breast feeding there. Why do they want a big pat on the back for saying they are complying with the law?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM
No idea. I don't like clothes with the company logo plastered all over it, so I don't shop there.

Quoting hapababies:

Isn't Hollister the store where it looks like a beach house and there are chairs as part of their store front?

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting holly85:

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM
I'm not a fan either, but for some reason that store that sticks in my head.

Quoting TTC2Long:

No idea. I don't like clothes with the company logo plastered all over it, so I don't shop there.

Quoting hapababies:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting holly85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM
2 moms liked this
No. Private companies don't get to make their own rules contrary to the law. Bf laws are civil code, just as laws against discrimination and segregation are. A store can't refuse to serve people of certain ethnic descent or require them to enter through a different door or something, for example. That would be discrimination. Same here. The law protects a mother's right to bf wherever she is. Specifically:
Tex. Health Code Ann. ยง 165.002 (1995) authorizes a woman to breastfeed her child in any location.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

TTC2Long
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Hollister sticks in my head as the company that plasters their name across the butts of girls' sweatpants. Lol. Maybe that's why I hold them in disdain. ;)

Quoting hapababies:

I'm not a fan either, but for some reason that store that sticks in my head.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting hapababies:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting loisl25:

Quoting holly85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)