Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Swaddling and EBF

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM
  • 42 Replies
When did you stop swaddling your baby? My DD is 19wks and I still swaddle her. She seems to enjoy it. I get mixed information about it. She is still sleeping in a bassinet at this time next to the bed. She sleeps about 6-8 hours at night. Should I stop because of her age?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:32 AM

I stopped when my babies could get themselves out of a swaddle... 11 days old (jus home from the nicu) for the first and 2 days for the second (before we left the hospital).  They really didn't like it, and I wasn't exactly comfortable with it after reading research on it messing with feeding cues and some sids links.  My IBCLC recommended if we DID choose to swaddle at home, that we wrapped under the armpits and left the arms free.  I just chose not to at all.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:05 AM
I did it until she wiggled out.
She was around 5months. If it's still working keep it up.
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this
We never did swaddle, all 3 of mine hated it.

But my friend swaddled until probably 5 months. She weaned her out a little bit at a time: one arm out for a few nights, add the other arm, then a looser on the body, then gone. She was teaching her to be able to go to sleep without needing that and being rocked. Personally, I'll rock my kids til their married if they want :)
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:37 AM
My 5 month old has a "sleeping bag" that swaddled her and she still uses it in the bassinet
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Around six months with our ydd- it was the only way we could soothe her.  My odd hated it from the start.

trendy2
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:26 AM
I have a bag type thing made by Aden and Anias that Zips over her clothes. Sort of like a vest around the arms but i haven't tried it yet.
I hate how cold her hands get when she's not swaddled.

Quoting Lindsayhoy0612:

My 5 month old has a "sleeping bag" that swaddled her and she still uses it in the bassinet
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My LC told me in the hospital that swaddling with hands in (and putting mittens on) was cruel since their hands are the only friends they know in the big scary world and that hands and the smell of your breast are familiar and comforting so we swaddled hands-out for the first week or so then she started busting out so we stopped. Around 4 months when her sleeping habits changed we started co-sleeping full time so my body heat kept her warm.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM
The second dd was born, she HATED being swaddled lol! I had her in my room with me pretty much the whole hospital stay (emergency csection) and I would keep her as unclothed as much as possible because skin to skin was the only thing that kept her calm and awake enough to nurse. My nurses were awesome, but any time they took her (which was only a couple times for a minute or two) they'd bring her back all wrapped up and she'd be pissed lol. She wouldn't sleep swaddled either, she had to have her arms up over her head lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I stopped around 7 months. He. started getting himself out of it during the night. I weaned him slowly by leaving one arm out and swaddling the rest, then both arms out etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

When your lo doesnt respond to it anymore.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)