Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it possible to wean one while another nurses?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
Sergio is 18 months & has gotten to the point where all he wants is boob. He refuses to eat solids now.
I'm getting tired of having to tadem nurse him & Natalie. Is it possible to wean him even if his baby sister is still nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM

He is probably about to hit a new milestone or three which can account for the increased nursing/refusal of solids. You can use the length of a song or nursery rhyme to limit his time at the breast, as in, "You may nurse while I sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Kellymom.com will also have some helpful information on this.  It is possible to waen him while his sister nurses, as long as you replace the nursing with extra cuddling, reading or the like.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You certaintly can. Drop one feeding a week until he no longer nurses. It'll likely be more complicated because the baby is nursing. Avoid saying no try delaying and limiting nursing times.

However. I would like to encourage you to continue. Especially as the breastmilk seems to providing most of his calories and nutrition. You can limit him to cetain times. You can nurse them seperately instead of at the same time. Weaning him will not guarantee he will suddenly want to eat. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

yes, I have done it, but it was really hard for a while...weaning is hard in general if its before a child is ready, but when another one is still nursing it makes it even harder imo....however for my situation I needed to wean my oldest to protect our relationship, I was getting so touched out that even anyone just touching me made my skin crawl.

btw, at 18 months, thats normal behavoir, children will go back anf forth, one minute they will eat more solids and be distracted by life, and the next minute all they want is to nurse. It will depend on if they are not feeling well, if there is a huge change in their lived (like a new sibling), teething, developmental milestones.....so many factors that change nursing habits.

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM
I weaned my daughter at 30 months while my ten month old was still nursing (he nursed till two). I gradually dropped all but the bedtime and nap time gradually, then did those two last since they were the most important.

The only reason I would recommend to wait a few more months is to get through winter cold and flu season. Since you have new milk, it is chock full of antibodies and will really make a difference in the number of illnesses and duration of illnesses that the kids get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Well I have twin 2 year olds and an 11 month old and I'm sure it could be done but in this house it would cause so many more problems than it would fix if I tried to wean the girls. It would just be a constant fit, especially by one of them. I would think it would be harder and take longer. Weaning won't necessarily make him eat more solids either.

LoveMyBoys8911
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I quit nursing my oldest at 13 months because I conceived and the nipple sensitivity was too much. I wish I would've stuck it out though because as soon as I quit my LO got his first ear infection, multiple colds and it just seems he gets more sick now. While I breastfed he only ever had a small minor cold. Now I'm nursing my latest LO and I've been pumping to give it to DS. There's nothing like breastmilk in my own opinion. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yes, it is possible. The older one usually weans before the younger one (whether child led or mother led).

I say give it a couple of weeks before you start. With increased nursing and refusing solids, I think something is going on. He maybe fighting a virus, getting molars, or just going through a big developmental spurt. 

If he is wanting it so intensely right now, starting to back off will likely make him cling tighter!

Do you know how much a toddler that age likes to hear the word NO? They hate it, right? What will often happen is mom says no when toddler asks to nurse, and toddler responds by asking 10 times more (mostly just to see if the answer will be yes this time). Avoid saying no, instead distract and delay as much as possible. Avoid situations when he will ask. See if your partner can take over a routine that usually involves nursing such as bedtime or waking up in the morning.

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Quoting melindabelcher: You certaintly can. Drop one feeding a week until he no longer nurses. It'll likely be more complicated because the baby is nursing. Avoid saying no try delaying and limiting nursing times. However. I would like to encourage you to continue. Especially as the breastmilk seems to providing most of his calories and nutrition. You can limit him to cetain times. You can nurse them seperately instead of at the same time. Weaning him will not guarantee he will suddenly want to eat. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN