Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control shot?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 17 Replies
I was just given the BC shot (can't remember it's name, but the paper calls it medroxyprogesterone) but I didn't look at the information until I got home. It says that it's excreted in breast milk. I assumed that since my midwife knew I was BF, that whatever birth control she gave me would be safe. I did just feed my LO, it's been an hour since I had the shot, is it going to hurt her? I'm kind of freaking out here...
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Was it the Depoprovera? Im not sure on the spelling
my OB told me that it would possibly affect my supply. not to mention that when I was on it before I gained 30 pounds in a year :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntkissy
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I'm on the DEPO shot.. no problem with supply issues.. and much better for me than taking the Mini Pill.. (I can't remember to take it!) I've had NO problems with my LO. I haven't gained any weight either. I guess everyone reacts differently to it.. The only thing that happened with my shot, I got my AF 2 days later but haven't had one again since. Good luck!

WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM
that pisses me off lol
my doctor told me I couldnt take it
I got the Nexplanon implant two weeks ago and the bruise isnt gone yet!

Quoting auntkissy:

I'm on the DEPO shot.. no problem with supply issues.. and much better for me than taking the Mini Pill.. (I can't remember to take it!) I've had NO problems with my LO. I haven't gained any weight either. I guess everyone reacts differently to it.. The only thing that happened with my shot, I got my AF 2 days later but haven't had one again since. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntkissy
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Here's some info from KellyMom

Progestin-only contraceptives

Progestin-only contraceptives are the preferred choice for breastfeeding mothers when something hormonal is desired or necessary.

Progestin-only contraceptives come in several different forms:

• the progestin-only pill (POP) also called the “mini-pill” (Micronor, Errin, Nor-QD, Ovrette, Microval, etc)
  • the birth control injection (Depo Provera)
  • the progesterone-releasing IUD (Mirena, Progestasert)
  • the birth control implant (Norplant, Implanon).

Milk supply: For most mothers, progestin-only forms of contraception do not cause problems with milk supply if started after the 6th-8th week postpartum and if given at normal doses. However, there are many reports (most anecdotal but nevertheless worth paying attention to) that some women do experience supply problems with these pills, so if you choose this method you still need to proceed with some caution.

If you’re interested in one of the longer lasting progestin-only forms of birth control (the Depo-Provera shot lasts at least 12 weeks, but effects may be seen up to a year; the Mirena/Progestasert IUD and the Norplant implant can last up to 5 years), it may be a good idea to do a trial of progestin-only pills (mini-pill) for a month or more before deciding on the longer-term form of birth control. If you find that you are among the women whose supply drops significantly due to progestin-only birth control, you can simply discontinue the pills – rather than struggling with low milk supply for several months until the shot wears off or you get the implant or IUD removed.

Do note that the Mirena/Progestasert IUD delivers its hormone directly to the lining of the uterus, which only leads to a slight increase in progesterone levels in the blood stream (much lower than that found with the progesterone-only pill). As a result, there is much less chance of side effects from the progesterone than from the Depo-Provera shot or mini-pill.

Milk composition: At higher doses than normal this type of pill can affect the content of breastmilk. At these higher doses it has been shown to decrease the protein/nitrogen and lactose content of the milk. At regular doses, this does not seem to be as likely.

Safety: Progestin (progesterone) is approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding mothers. See below for additional information on side effects related to lactation.

mnmbaby
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Yeah, Depo is what she called it. So it won't hurt my LO? I guess I ought to stop reading stuff that I think will freak me out and just trust that my midwife knows what she's doing.
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
well damn. thanks for posting that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntkissy
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I did a LOT of research before I went in to meet with my doctor. We discussed ALL the options and chose the best for me. But, honestly, if I could have had my way. I would have just had my tubes tied! BUT, seeing as I'm young and this is my first child.. He wouldn't do it! :(

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

that pisses me off lol
my doctor told me I couldnt take it
I got the Nexplanon implant two weeks ago and the bruise isnt gone yet!

Quoting auntkissy:

I'm on the DEPO shot.. no problem with supply issues.. and much better for me than taking the Mini Pill.. (I can't remember to take it!) I've had NO problems with my LO. I haven't gained any weight either. I guess everyone reacts differently to it.. The only thing that happened with my shot, I got my AF 2 days later but haven't had one again since. Good Luck!

ncoates04
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I had horrible issues with the depo shot...weight gain, depression joint issues, diabetes...it goes on.
.I was on it for a little over a year before we narrowed down it being the trigger, plus we wanted to try for another baby...it took 3 more years before I was sble to get pregnant....definatly not something I recommend to anyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntkissy
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM

You're welcome! You should definitely read up on KellyMom.. I LOVE it!!

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

well damn. thanks for posting that!

auntkissy
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting mnmbaby:

Yeah, Depo is what she called it. So it won't hurt my LO? I guess I ought to stop reading stuff that I think will freak me out and just trust that my midwife knows what she's doing.

Here's your answer:

Side effects related to lactation

Milk supply: As noted above, hormonal birth control pills (particularly those containing estrogen) have the potential to decrease milk supply, sometimes dramatically.

Effects on baby: There have been no adverse reports of side effects to the baby. Both progestin and estrogen are approved by the AAP for use by nursing moms. Children whose mothers used hormonal birth control while nursing have been followed as late as 17 years of age. The exception to this is the very young baby – less than 6 weeks old. There may be some concern about the baby’s immature liver being able to metabolize the hormones passed through the milk well enough.

Any hormonal birth control may cause fussiness in the baby (not reported in the literature but often anecdotally by mothers). This may be due to the hormones causing a minimal decrease in the protein/nitrogen/lactose content of the milk. Some mothers have reported marked improvement in their baby’s degree of fussiness once they come off hormonal birth control.

ALSO, EVERY form of medication has side effects. Everyone reacts differently to them.  Just do your research BEFORE you start ANY medication.. and never be afraid to say NO.. Remember that your doctors work FOR you.. not you live for them..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)