Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions about solids, poop, and turning a year

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am trying to decide when I will feel comfortable not pumping during the day and just nursing McKenzie when we are together. I figured that would be sometime between a year and 18 months. I plan to wait until I feel confident she is getting enough nutrition from solids to last all day(I work 9 hours so we are separated about 10 hours 5 days per week)

Well we are just about at a year and my DD loves her solid food. She eats plenty so I was thinking that I might finally ditch this pump sooner rather than later.

The issue is that lately I have noticed a lot of food in her poop that looks barely touched. We do BLS and baby has two teeth about halfway out on the bottom but she has always been good about gumming/chewing food. Lately it seems like she is swallowing it whole and/or her body isn't breaking it down much.

Does this mean I might need to back off on the solids a little and keep sending the 9 or so oz of bm each day until I stop seeing so much undigested food in her poop?

(thankfully we don't have to go by daycare rules b/c she goes to grandma's while I am at work)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Until a year i would definetly continue sending breastmilk. It isn't uncommon to see undigested pieces of food in their stool, however to me this is a sign that they aren't processing it properly.A few undigested pieces isn't a big deal but more then that and i certaintly wouldn't be limiting breastmilk while away. 

After 1 you can continue to pump for as long as you desire. Thats different for every situatuion. My LO had a legitimate digestive problem and had lost weight after being a slow gainer. So i chose to continue to pump until she began sleeping through the night while i was at work which was 18mo for us. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM
What sorts of solids does she eat, how much and how often? Does she feed herself?
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah I am not going to reduce bottles until at least a year which is about 3 weeks away. And of course she will still have unlimited access to the tap on weekends ands at night.

For awhile I was finding a piece or two of undigested food every so often. However the last two days it's like her whole meal is just sitting in the diaper.

Oh and I know she isn't putting it in there because we use cloth and they are too tight to get her hand into and there is no way she could snap and unsnap. Lol.

I think I will keep an eye on it and not start reducing bottles until I see less undigested food.

I just realized that her first top tooth just broke through last night though and I bet she stopped chewing her food as well because of the tooth hurting her...hmm lol. Didn't think of that till now.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Until a year i would definetly continue sending breastmilk. It isn't uncommon to see undigested pieces of food in their stool, however to me this is a sign that they aren't processing it properly.A few undigested pieces isn't a big deal but more then that and i certaintly wouldn't be limiting breastmilk while away. 

After 1 you can continue to pump for as long as you desire. Thats different for every situatuion. My LO had a legitimate digestive problem and had lost weight after being a slow gainer. So i chose to continue to pump until she began sleeping through the night while i was at work which was 18mo for us. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Worry less about what the poop looks like and more about what the baby looks like. Is he looking and acting like her normal happy self? If yes, don't worry so much about what the poop looks like.

MissSarah04
by Sarah on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:00 AM
She always feeds herself and eats bites of what we are eating. She loves green beans, banana, sweet potato, chicken, berries, pears, oranges, and lots of stuff I can't even think of. Lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

What sorts of solids does she eat, how much and how often? Does she feed herself?
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM
She definitely acts like her normal self now but has been wanting to nurse more so of course I let her. She stays plenty hydrated and had plenty of energy so I know she's doing well. When I decide to drop some of the pumped milk I will definitely keep an eye on diapers to make sure she stays hydrated and have my mom help watch her behavior.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Worry less about what the poop looks like and more about what the baby looks like. Is he looking and acting like her normal happy self? If yes, don't worry so much about what the poop looks like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN