Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lip tie?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM
mel
  • 19 Replies

Maggiemom2000 might be on to something.
I think Ellie is gaining slowly from a ptt. It would also explain why she nurses 20+ times a day. And why the majority of her pre/post weights were 0.3-1oz. My oversupply has likely helped her not loose to bad.
any lip tie experts does this look like one?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gruntlings
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep, lip tie. Doesn't look like a bad one, but it could be getting in the way of a decent latch. Does she have a tongue tie as well? Lip and tongue ties can go hand in hand sometimes. Posterior type 3/4 tongue ties can be hard to spot and are often missed. 

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

TOTALLY!

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM
I'm thinking ptt.

Quoting Gruntlings:

Yep, lip tie. Doesn't look like a bad one, but it could be getting in the way of a decent latch. Does she have a tongue tie as well? Lip and tongue ties can go hand in hand sometimes. Posterior type 3/4 tongue ties can be hard to spot and are often missed. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I'm thinking ptt.
No latch issues but slow, weight gain/loss at 9mo with an oversupply

Quoting Gruntlings:

Gruntlings
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like it. We had my middle son clipped at 8 months because of slow gain that stalled out. As soon as his tie was clipped all of his issues disappeared. (He had acid diarrhea, reflux, issues with bottles and solids, gagging issues, etc. Tongue tie got clipped and within 24 hours he was a different child.)

Quoting melindabelcher:

I'm thinking ptt.
No latch issues but slow, weight gain/loss at 9mo with an oversupply

Quoting Gruntlings:

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I have often thought that may have been an issue, but figured you'd thought of it already :/  Sorry I didn't mention it further!  Something to think on, you may not really have an oversupply, it just seems like you do.  Gulping, choking, reflux, all the oversupply signs can be caused by the tongue tie and block feeding would be counterproductive to the weight issues.  I'll grab you a link to a fabulous tongue tie group headed by Dr Kotlow.  So many of the moms in there are block feeding and dealing with slow gain but have supposed oversupply, it's really the tongue tie :/

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Thankyou :)
I had thought about it before but I'm not that knowledgeable on TT. I had checked for an obvious TT and it looks fine but didn't know to look for a LT and what to look for with a PTT.
I also can tend to be a worrier lol. So I try to keep myself in check. But after talking with maggiemom it all seems to fit together.
The biggest thing I'm hoping is that she.indeed has one, that it's clipped so that she doesn't need to nurse soooooo frequently!!! :) selfish I know but at 9mo feeding 20+ times a day it's like a never ending growth spurt and when I limit her, her diapers immediately drop.
Thankyou for the link.
So should I stop block feeding immediately?

Quoting PoodleMum:

I have often thought that may have been an issue, but figured you'd thought of it already :/  Sorry I didn't mention it further!  Something to think on, you may not really have an oversupply, it just seems like you do.  Gulping, choking, reflux, all the oversupply signs can be caused by the tongue tie and block feeding would be counterproductive to the weight issues.  I'll grab you a link to a fabulous tongue tie group headed by Dr Kotlow.  So many of the moms in there are block feeding and dealing with slow gain but have supposed oversupply, it's really the tongue tie :/

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I am such a worrier too, I totally understand :)  It's hard for me to find the balance between paranoid and totally ingoring my thought

That sounds very exhausting!  We're finally getting out of the point where Evie isn't constantly nursing and I'm constantly pumping, but now I worry that I need to go back to that (though she's not constanly demanding the breast on her own).  I would try switch feeding for a while and see how she does!  If you have such a huge oversupply that you're going 12 hours between sides (if I remember correctly), it will be very easy for her to fill up and go a big longer between feedings.  If you're feeling a bit full, I'd pump just in case to keep that oversupply going (or just nurse her again lol).  With the tie, she'll be working incredibly hard and burning a lot of calories trying to get milk out, so trying to get her the hind milk would be counterproductive I think.  If getting fats into her is the worry, I'd give her high fat foods since she's at an appropriate age.  What made you decide to block feed?  Just wondering if I can put the link between her/your symptoms and the tie  

Quoting melindabelcher:

I had thought about it before but I'm not that knowledgeable on TT. I had checked for an obvious TT and it looks fine but didn't know to look for a LT and what to look for with a PTT.
I also can tend to be a worrier lol. So I try to keep myself in check. But after talking with maggiemom it all seems to fit together.
The biggest thing I'm hoping is that she.indeed has one, that it's clipped so that she doesn't need to nurse soooooo frequently!!! :) selfish I know but at 9mo feeding 20+ times a day it's like a never ending growth spurt and when I limit her, her diapers immediately drop.
Thankyou for the link.

Quoting PoodleMum:

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM
The balance is hard.
I was block feeding for an oversupply but the symptoms improved but not perfect so I had considered increasing to 18-24hr but I think the oversupply is whats allowing her to still gain so I flipped to one breast per feeding hoping that will allow her to get milk a little easier.
Shes not into solids she takes them shakes her head and spits them out.

Quoting PoodleMum:

I am such a worrier too, I totally understand :)  It's hard for me to find the balance between paranoid and totally ingoring my thought

That sounds very exhausting!  We're finally getting out of the point where Evie isn't constantly nursing and I'm constantly pumping, but now I worry that I need to go back to that (though she's not constanly demanding the breast on her own).  I would try switch feeding for a while and see how she does!  If you have such a huge oversupply that you're going 12 hours between sides (if I remember correctly), it will be very easy for her to fill up and go a big longer between feedings.  If you're feeling a bit full, I'd pump just in case to keep that oversupply going (or just nurse her again lol).  With the tie, she'll be working incredibly hard and burning a lot of calories trying to get milk out, so trying to get her the hind milk would be counterproductive I think.  If getting fats into her is the worry, I'd give her high fat foods since she's at an appropriate age.  What made you decide to block feed?  Just wondering if I can put the link between her/your symptoms and the tie  

Quoting melindabelcher:

Thankyou for the link.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN