Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I keep supplementing?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM
  • 38 Replies

I cut Evie down to just 3 oz extra a day this week and took her to a weight check, she didn't gain anything this week :(  Should I give it another week before worrying?  She gained 7 oz last week with 6 oz/day extra and was pooping like a champ, but since cutting back she has only pooped once and it was really thick/brownish, not very much at all for how long it had been.  She's not frantic anymore, seems content at the breast, and is sleeping pretty well.  I just want to be able to nurse her without worrying!  As she gets bigger will she be able to just nurse?  Or am I going to have to constantly be taking galactogues to keep enough into her?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:48 AM
I say, give it some more time before you decide on anything. You could stay where you are for another week and see if this week was just a slower week. Remember that babies don't grow constantly. They grow in spurts. She could be in a growth lull.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I can't answer without knowing the history.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM

This is what I would tell someone else in this position, but it's so hard not to worry when it's your own teeny tiny baby...  I guess I just need the reassurance that I'm not going to do her harm or anything.  I'm a worrier lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

I say, give it some more time before you decide on anything. You could stay where you are for another week and see if this well was just a slower week. Remember that babies don't grow constantly. They grow in spurts. She could be in a growth lull.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM
That's why you have us... To give you the same advice that you would give to someone else. ;-)
You are already doing so much better. I understand how hard it is especially with what you went through with Pippi.

Quoting PoodleMum:

This is what I would tell someone else in this position, but it's so hard not to worry when it's your own teeny tiny baby...  I guess I just need the reassurance that I'm not going to do her harm or anything.  I'm a worrier lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

I say, give it some more time before you decide on anything. You could stay where you are for another week and see if this well was just a slower week. Remember that babies don't grow constantly. They grow in spurts. She could be in a growth lull.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Really long, two year saga involving two kids, tongue ties, and a bunch of other delightful stuff :/ 

Quoting aimhawk:

aimhawk
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I'm sorry... But it seems like things are working out better, now!

Quoting PoodleMum:

Really long, two year saga involving two kids, tongue ties, and a bunch of other delightful stuff :/ 

Quoting aimhawk:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Like the first poster said, babies don't gain weight or grow consistently. My suggestion is pay attention to baby's cues and see if you can cut out those three ounces. I would also wait until you've been only nursing for a while before you stop taking whatever you're taking to boost your supply, just to be on the safe side. It would suck to get her back to nursing for a few days just to go back to supplementing because you stopped your galactogogues too soon. And on the pooping point, I don't know why, but formula makes most babies poop more, and more frequently. Her pooping less as you give her less formula (I assumed you were supplementing with formula) isn't a sign of her not getting enough. As long as she continues to poop sometimes, has plenty of wet diapers, and seems alert and content during playtime, she's fine. Good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I don't know what I would have done without this group!  Y'all have really been a life line to keep my sanity :)

We hit 14 weeks yesterday!  She looks good, plump little cheeks and is really happy.  So much better than with Pippi, but I still wish it could be easy...

Quoting aehanrahan:

That's why you have us... To give you the same advice that you would give to someone else. ;-)
You are already doing so much better. I understand how hard it is especially with what you went through with Pippi.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting aehanrahan:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:10 AM
Never mind all that. I now realize you probably know more about breastfeeding than I do. Oops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM
It has already gotten easier. I think it will continue to get better as she gets better at getting the milk and your supply continues to increase.

Quoting PoodleMum:

I don't know what I would have done without this group!  Y'all have really been a life line to keep my sanity :)

We hit 14 weeks yesterday!  She looks good, plump little cheeks and is really happy.  So much better than with Pippi, but I still wish it could be easy...

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN