Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

tried BF-ing in public today...

Posted by   + Show Post

not what I though it would be like.

I had to take my 4 day old out today when DH and I ran a few errands and at the pharmacy he was getting fussy and I started leaking so I knew he was hungry.

I thought I was being very modest and I'm 90% sure that you can bf in public in GA

I was sitting in the pharmacy waiting room part away from the store part where it was quiet and no one was over there. I was covered with a blanket. I was waiting for my RX to be filled.

and one of the pharasist techs asked me if there was any way I could go to the restroom or to my car.

:( She was really polite about it, but It made me really sad.....I'm just happy that he'd already had enough to be content.

I just wish it had been a better first experience. But I'm happy that he is still going strong. I honestly really enjoy breastfeeding and I love it when DS "holds on", its so dang cute!

EDIT:

Though it did discourage me, today I tried again and it was a great experience.

I also googled GA state law (thanks for all the links as well) and now that I actually know, I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I did call the pharmacy and tell the manager about it and he said no one had had a problem with it before but he would bring it up with all of his employees and offered me a $10 gift card to the store...I was really surprised by how upset he seemed by it. I wasn't rude on the phone or anything.

Again, thank you ladies so much. Be prepared for a TON of questions and post from me. lol

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  All states either have specific laws directly protecting NIP, or they simply do not include breasts as genitalia, making it a non-obscene act and excluding it from indecent exposure laws, indirectly protecting NIP.

Quoting ragitty:

are there any states where it isn't allowed to NIP? I am just curious

CafeMom Tickers
ragitty
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I figured it must be something like that but I see so many posts all over the place asking about sates' laws on NIP so I just started wondering

Quoting preacherskid:

Nope.  All states either have specific laws directly protecting NIP, or they simply do not include breasts as genitalia, making it a non-obscene act and excluding it from indecent exposure laws, indirectly protecting NIP.

Quoting ragitty:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It helps to know that there is a law protecting you. Some places have cards with the law on them that moms can carry in their purse or diaper bag to hand to anyone who harasses them.

Quoting ragitty:

I figured it must be something like that but I see so many posts all over the place asking about sates' laws on NIP so I just started wondering

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting ragitty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Ugh :(
I'm sorry that happened to you. That would have made me very sad if that had happened to me with my firstborn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitemebetty
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM
I am so sorry. My first time un public I had a lady come up to me.and tell me I was doing a good thing. I wish all nip experiences were like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM
All very true :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

I agree! If we don't complain when this happens, the view of nursing in public will not be changed.

Quoting gdiamante:

The tech was incorrect to do that, and it's something you can complain to the pharmacy manager about. Indeed, you SHOULD complain about it. Don't be quiet and not make waves... thw world is changed by Uppity Women... so be one!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KendraCay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Congratulations on your new baby and your first time nursing in public! I hope this negative experience doesn't stop you from trying again. It gets easier every time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirlmom09
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I'm hoping Texas isn't like this. I am soo worried about people seeing something that I am going tot be constantly covered unless at my home. Even at my mil I will either leave the room or be covered. It bothers me to make others uncomfortable even though their my in laws.
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM
wow I am sorry
I would have told her politely that "no, there is no way I can go to another area to make YOU comfortable."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
it really does get easier every time. I dont even think about latching her on in public anymore. its like second nature

Quoting KendraCay:

Congratulations on your new baby and your first time nursing in public! I hope this negative experience doesn't stop you from trying again. It gets easier every time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN