Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

tried BF-ing in public today...

Posted by   + Show Post

not what I though it would be like.

I had to take my 4 day old out today when DH and I ran a few errands and at the pharmacy he was getting fussy and I started leaking so I knew he was hungry.

I thought I was being very modest and I'm 90% sure that you can bf in public in GA

I was sitting in the pharmacy waiting room part away from the store part where it was quiet and no one was over there. I was covered with a blanket. I was waiting for my RX to be filled.

and one of the pharasist techs asked me if there was any way I could go to the restroom or to my car.

:( She was really polite about it, but It made me really sad.....I'm just happy that he'd already had enough to be content.

I just wish it had been a better first experience. But I'm happy that he is still going strong. I honestly really enjoy breastfeeding and I love it when DS "holds on", its so dang cute!

EDIT:

Though it did discourage me, today I tried again and it was a great experience.

I also googled GA state law (thanks for all the links as well) and now that I actually know, I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I did call the pharmacy and tell the manager about it and he said no one had had a problem with it before but he would bring it up with all of his employees and offered me a $10 gift card to the store...I was really surprised by how upset he seemed by it. I wasn't rude on the phone or anything.

Again, thank you ladies so much. Be prepared for a TON of questions and post from me. lol

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
savannabooker
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM
I live in ga too. Where do you live?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I'm very sorry your first experience went the way it did. She cannot ask you to do that, you have every right to nurse in public.

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Agreed.  I am so sorry this happened.. ((hugs)) Please call and report this! 

Quoting CuSukha: Whether or not she was polite, I would call the store so that all employees are informed that a mother can breastfeed where ever she is entitled to be. That is one of those things that are mean or rudeness, masked by nice. If you are asking me to stop breastfeeding, you are being rude no matter how much you try to sugar coat it.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Totally illegal. I would call the store manager and complain.

bmack2107
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM
You should have told her, "no thanks, I'm comfortable right here. " I'm sorry your first nip experience was a bad one =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happysnappyJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I'm sorry that happened. I don't think he could legally have asked you to do that though. My reply to something like that is always, 'do you eat your meals in the bathroom?;.

MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry about your experience. here is the law:

Ga. Code § 31-1-9 (1999) states that the breastfeeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health and allows a mother to breastfeed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be. (1999 SB 29, Act 304; 2002 SB 221)

Print it out and carry it with you at all times. Also, consider the two shirt technique and remember that you are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

arigdon4
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Though it did discourage me, today I tried again and it was a great experience.

I also googled GA state law (thanks for all the links as well) and now that I actually know, I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I did call the pharmacy and tell the manager about it and he said no one had had a problem with it before but he would bring it up with all of his employees and offered me a $10 gift card to the store...I was really surprised by how upset he seemed by it. I wasn't rude on the phone or anything.

Again, thank you ladies so much. Be prepared for a TON of questions and post from me. lol

arigdon4
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I had on a tank top and a cartigan so all I had to do was pull down the top a bit but I did double-shirt today 

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I'm sorry about your experience. here is the law:

Ga. Code § 31-1-9 (1999) states that the breastfeeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health and allows a mother to breastfeed her baby in any location where the mother and baby are otherwise authorized to be. (1999 SB 29, Act 304; 2002 SB 221)

Print it out and carry it with you at all times. Also, consider the two shirt technique and remember that you are not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Mitzi31
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Good job on calling them! They should know that one of their employees has made a customer feel uncomfotable. Glad the manager was nice about it and it's good you were nice to them. Being mean is not the way to handle things. Being nice can make all the difference in the world. :-)

Good job for standing up! :-D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN