Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to doubt I can BF

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
  • 21 Replies
I had my 24 week appointment on Friday and I let my MW know I want to BF. I explained to her I had a reduction almost 10 years ago and I attempted to BF my son 2 years after reduction and I didn't produce much milk. My question for her was could I possibly produce more milk this time b/c it's been so long since my surgery. She flat out told me I would have to use formula b/c I won't produce enough milk. I am so heart broken behind this I just wanna cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skylarkdancer
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
That may not be true. My sister had a reduction in the 90's wasn't able to bf her first child but.her third child she was able to. You won't know until you try. :-)
proudmama11212
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Jst try for a week n see wat happens :) good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Wow. Don't give up based on this person's opinion. There are things you can research to help you be successful. Also, you may not be able to EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed, but you can successfully supplement and breastfeed part-time. There is not an all-or-nothing to this!

Look into an SNS system. My friend had a reduction and can't EBF, but she nurses at the breasted full-time with this. She supplements a few ounces of formula a day when diaper count looks low.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clei420
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM
That's what I am hoping will happen with this baby. She's my 3rd. When U had my surgery I said I wanted to BF later in life I was 22 at the time. The doctor left my nipple attached and cut me around the areoloa and down the underside if my breast.

Quoting skylarkdancer:

That may not be true. My sister had a reduction in the 90's wasn't able to bf her first child but.her third child she was able to. You won't know until you try. :-)
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Depending on how you were cut they may have left enough tissue and ducts intact for you to at least partially bf.  Check out this site:

http://www.bfar.org/index.shtml

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

Midwife is WRONG WRONG WRONG... so much so I wouldn't use her for the delivery because God only knows what ELSE she would be wrong about! You don't make a BLANKET statement like that!

There's an organization called BFAR; Breastfeeding After Reduction. Please check it out. And start looking for a new midwife who actually knows her stuff.

piwife
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a book called. Its called "defining your own sucess " by diana west is a book about breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
How did you determine you weren't making enough milk with your last?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Dont give up mama.....plus ur midwife isnt an ibclc most likely. I agree with above. Plus there are lots of things you can do to aid production.....you did produce last time....so you know you can produce milk :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kLynch315
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM
My sister bf my niece for like 6 months until she got mastitis and she had a reduction. It's definitely possible. I'd try before becoming discouraged!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)