Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Starting to doubt I can BF

Posted by   + Show Post
I had my 24 week appointment on Friday and I let my MW know I want to BF. I explained to her I had a reduction almost 10 years ago and I attempted to BF my son 2 years after reduction and I didn't produce much milk. My question for her was could I possibly produce more milk this time b/c it's been so long since my surgery. She flat out told me I would have to use formula b/c I won't produce enough milk. I am so heart broken behind this I just wanna cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
Clei420
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM
My son lost a lot of weight and would nurse but nothing would come out and when I pumped I got about an ounce out of both sides.

Quoting melindabelcher:

How did you determine you weren't making enough milk with your last?
piwife
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Wow!! 2 oz from both breast. Yeah that is normal pumping amount. By the way you never base supply on how much you can pump. Many moms can't pump at all and breastfeed well pass a year. As for the loosing weight. There also could have been many factors to that. The only way to know if baby is eating well is diaper count and happy baby. On average a bf baby will gain 4-6 oz a week

Quoting Clei420:

My son lost a lot of weight and would nurse but nothing would come out and when I pumped I got about an ounce out of both sides.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It's important to recognize past bf experiences and the good and the bad. Babies are expected to lose up to 10% in the first week of life, some babies can lose up to 12% if mom had a csection or lots of fluids in labor. Then a gain of 4oz week, average 1lb a month from lowest weight.
In the first week you want to see one diaper per day of life (day 1-1 diaper, day 3-3 diapers) At 1 week + you want 6 diapers a day. you want to see baby passing meconium.
Pumping output means nothing some woman can't pump a drop or squeeze a drop out of their nipples but, can bf twins without supplementing. Normal pumping outputs 0.5-2oz total(thats combined from both breasts)
Id look into a sns and donor milk, just incase but would try to bf and watch the above signs for adequate milk intake.

Quoting Clei420:

Quoting melindabelcher:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM
You won't know unless you try:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Many moms who do not have a full supply with the first, will have more and enough for the next baby. The fact that you could pump an ounce with your last is a really good sign!!!

Lots of info for you here:

Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery

Here are a collection of information and resouces to help you successfully breastfeed after breast reduction surgery:

Articles

General frequently asked questions (FAQ) about breastfeeding after breast or nipple surgery

Is it possible to breastfeed after breast reduction surgery?

Should you have the surgery if you may have other children?

Breast reduction techniques

Maximizing your breastfeeding success

Increasing milk production

Supplementing in ways that are supportive of breastfeeding 

Support

The BFAR forums

The Low Milk Supply forums (launching April 2007)

Breastfeeding stories from mothers who have had reduction surgery

Your local board-certified lactation consultant 

Books

The BFAR book by Diana West, BA, IBCLC

The soon to be published book about low milk production by Diana West, BA, IBCLC, and Lisa Marasco, MA, IBCLC 

LucyHourglass
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You can still breastfeed. Go get an Supplemental Nursing System, its a bottle that hangs around your neck with tubing that goes onto the nipple - your baby will get the supplements and also get whatever milk you make - even a little drop provides your antibodies to the baby and having them at the breast will give you that bond. you can use donor milk or formula, i've opted for donor milk myself. YOU CAN BREASTFEED! even if it is with supplements and an SNS, you can still breastfeed, if you want to. don't let anyone tell you you cant :) breastfeeding is NOT all or nothing.

MommaTasha1003
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You have to try to know.. Even if you dont produce enough to EBF you can still do both FF & BF... Some BM is better than none... Id try to nurse 3x a day minimal- morning, lunch, night time..

I swear ds is ebf & gets most his milk at night while we sleep lol.. If you cant EBF, and want to cosleep id nurse at night. Get more sleep that way.

aimhawk
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Try! Nurse on demand, count diapers, and as long as baby is happy then everything should be fine.

MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Okay, while you may have difficulty this DOES NOT mean you can not provide breastmilk. Remember that ANY amount is beneficial and the act of BF is another benefit (one reason why pumped milk is NEVER equal to breast milk) to breastfeeding. What I recommend is that you focus on EBFing with no supplements and simply watch diaper count. If baby is not producing enough diapers, then you can start supplementing to diaper count (1/2-1oz per feeding to avoid giving too much supplement) with an at the breast supplementer called an SNS, which will allow baby to stimulate your breasts and get the benefits of nursing while getting the nutrition. Supplement should be pumped milk, donor milk, or formula (in that order) Milk is made on a supply and demand basis. Depending on how many milk glands were damaged and how much stimulation your breasts get will determine supply. Even if it's 99% supplement and 1% BM this is still great, and more often than not by increased pumping, the use of the SNS, focusing on diaper count, and only using the minimum amount of supplement you should do great! I know Maggiemom2000 has a great story on her blog with a mom who nursed with supplementation because of the same issue! Just remember that it isn't all or nothing. :)

ETA:

Because you possibly may have issues here are a few things you can do to increase your odds of success:

1) Make an appointment with an IBCLC to evaluate your ability to BF and create a "plan of action."

2) Purchase an SNS and a medical grade syringe (for syringe feedings in case baby won't take an SNS or you don't like it)

3) Seek out breast milk donations from Human Milk for Human Babies or Eats on Feets in your area (look on Facebook for the one closest to you. This is beneficial because it allows you to supplement with human milk (recommended over formula) while you pump and put baby to breast as often as possible.

4) DO NOT ALLOW OR GIVE BOTTLES OR PACIFIERS! If you need to give any supplements do so with an SNS or syringe feeding. Feed baby at the earliest signs of hunger and allow all comfort sucking (this will help your supply)

5) ONLY GIVE SUPPLEMENTS IF DIAPER COUNT IS LOW, AND KEEP SUPPLEMENTS TO JUST ENOUGH TO REACH MINIMUM DIAPER COUNT.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Just because you'll have to supplement with formula, doesn't mean you can't still breast feed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN