Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to doubt I can BF

Posted by   + Show Post
I had my 24 week appointment on Friday and I let my MW know I want to BF. I explained to her I had a reduction almost 10 years ago and I attempted to BF my son 2 years after reduction and I didn't produce much milk. My question for her was could I possibly produce more milk this time b/c it's been so long since my surgery. She flat out told me I would have to use formula b/c I won't produce enough milk. I am so heart broken behind this I just wanna cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (21-21):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

In week one baby is expected to lose ten percent of birth weight. Even more if it's a c-section (though I'm guessing that's not the case here). If loss continued past week one, there are lots of things that could have been going on. Not nursing on demand, tongue tie in baby, and yes, the reduction might have an impact.

What you look for are dipes. One change per day of life in week one. 6-8 changes per day thereafter.

Quoting Clei420:

My son lost a lot of weight and would nurse but nothing would come out and when I pumped I got about an ounce out of both sides.

Quoting melindabelcher:

How did you determine you weren't making enough milk with your last?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)