Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What's up with this?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 29 Replies
Okay background my ds is 8 months old. He's been strictly breastfed with a lil baby and adult food here and there but nothing ever continuous.
Now here for the past 5-6days he's had belly aches unable to poop (which the last poop he had was very dark not black or bloody but dark even considering the one right before that was normal and yellow)
I've been giving him has drops and running his belly at map time because he's unable to get comfortable, I've also given him apple juice and water with Karo syrup hoping it would halo him go to No avail. :/
Now another thing he's been burping ALOT more than usual and he's been spitting up after feeding and he hasn't spit up since he was like 3 months old. And he's also been wanting to nurse a lot more to , but when he lays to nurse he bites and then gets ups and runs around the bed :/
Any idea on what might be causing the belly issues? We've completely stopped food if any sort other than nursing and the juice , I've not eaten anything different not even spicy or
Anything :/ I just want my baby to feel better!!!

(Sorry for any typos I'm on my phone and sometimes the autocorrect will correct something that is already right lol)

UPDATE:
He POOpED!!! Yay!!!! Finally yesterday morning he was grunting and the next thing I know he pooped! Yay Ian!! Lol thanks ladies for all the advice you have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Stop the juice and just nurse! Breastmilk is a natural laxative. Could be a tummy bug causing spit up, growth spurt, etc. all I know is Karo syrup is never necessary!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I would stop the solids for now, that would just cause more issues. If it keeps up than maybe see the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM

well we did stop the solids and was goin purly breastmilk but his tummy was/is still hard and hes hurting so bad so i wanted to try something to help!!! i've taken karo syrup many a time myself to help . 

Quoting audmom1218:

Stop the juice and just nurse! Breastmilk is a natural laxative. Could be a tummy bug causing spit up, growth spurt, etc. all I know is Karo syrup is never necessary!

Im Erica .. Married to Adam .. (Sept. 2011) . Mommy to Ian (April 2012) . Im a Breastfeeding, CD'ing, Babywearing, Circin and Vacin, Apostolic Kinda Momma

IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

yea we've stopped the solids . i am thinking about taking him in tho. :/ 

Quoting Precious333:

I would stop the solids for now, that would just cause more issues. If it keeps up than maybe see the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

Im Erica .. Married to Adam .. (Sept. 2011) . Mommy to Ian (April 2012) . Im a Breastfeeding, CD'ing, Babywearing, Circin and Vacin, Apostolic Kinda Momma

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Karo syrup is fine as an adult but it a child or baby I wouldn't put them at risk. The Karo syrup carries a risk of botulism. Cut out all solids and juice and nurse more. Bm is a laxative and will help things move. Try bicycling the legs ad rubbing the belly. Maybe even a warm bath or take a warm shower with baby. That always got my kids moving.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

well we did stop the solids and was goin purly breastmilk but his tummy was/is still hard and hes hurting so bad so i wanted to try something to help!!! i've taken karo syrup many a time myself to help . 

Quoting audmom1218:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Yup. All of this!

Quoting shortyali:

Karo syrup is fine as an adult but it a child or baby I wouldn't put them at risk. The Karo syrup carries a risk of botulism. Cut out all solids and juice and nurse more. Bm is a laxative and will help things move. Try bicycling the legs ad rubbing the belly. Maybe even a warm bath or take a warm shower with baby. That always got my kids moving.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Quoting audmom1218:

IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I've been rubbing the belly and we are going to take a bath here soon but I just didn't know what else to do . We will try the bicycling of the legs . I jut wan him to poop. I know breast babies don't have to poop as often but still his belly is hard and he's in pain I know it :/

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Quoting audmom1218:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Is he passing gas?

If he is in a lot of pain and not passing gas, I would take him in. If he is passing gas, you can probably hold off.

Doesn't this stuff always happen on the holidays?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Yes his gas is rancid! Oh god it smells like something died ;) but he's always smelled like that!! He has a lot of gas I've noticed with the burping a lot and he's toots like a mother!!!! Just no poop:( he's even strained on several occasions and still nothing :-/ and yes always on a holiday

Quoting Cleo07:

Is he passing gas?

If he is in a lot of pain and not passing gas, I would take him in. If he is passing gas, you can probably hold off.

Doesn't this stuff always happen on the holidays?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shanon1
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Have you tried infant massage on his belly? If it's hard, that could mean he's constipated && if you rub his belly, that may be able to get things going, down there, w/o having to give him anything, for it. Like others have said, I'd temp. stop w/ the solids, too, till this is resolved.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)