Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!!! EDITED::::I think my nipples are going to fall off........

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this
EDIT::::I just want to shout it out lol! Cause here I know I'll get support.

So, baby boy is 2 1/2 weeks today, and we have cut out the formula completely!!!!

OLD POST::::: I swear. Baby boy had jaundice pretty bad from our blood mixing during delivery. I abrupted pretty damn bad. So they FORCED us to supplement w formula because I just couldn't pump the amount they wanted him drinking.

So, between constant, and I mean CONSTANT, nursing and all the pumping, I SWEAR I'm gonna lose a nipple somewhere. Thomas wil suck it off, or the pump is just gonna suck them in w the milk LOL.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Are you still giving bottles?  How are his bili levels?  Sounds like his latch needs a good check over by an IBCLC, and you may want to use something other than a bottle to feed him if he is not latching while you work on the latch.  If he is latching first step is to cut supplements out slowly, and fix whatever latch issues he may have.  Alternate feeding vessels: syringe, cup (with or without lid), spoon, SNS.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Jaundice isnt a reason to supplement. They can do a bili blanket at home if needed.
Offer the breast every 2hrs around the clock. How old is baby and how many diaper changes in 24hrs?
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Eta: feed on demand but dont let baby go longer then 2hrs between feedings without at least offering
JTnJT
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

With my oldest her Billi count was 20 when I left the hospital with her, they told me not to breastfeed, to use formula, because she could get billirubin from the breastmilk....she spent her first week at home in a bilibed....looking back, I wish I hadn't listened to the doctor, and went ahead and breastfed....by the time she was out of the bilibed....my supply was all but gone....being a new mother, no one told me the ins and outs of BF....as a result of what ultimetly was my own lack of education...I only ever BF my ODD while we were still in the hospital....I feel like I lost out on what should have been a special bonding time for my ODD and myself.....so right out of the gate....I'd felt as though I had already failed her....it's a miserable experience for a new mom....I wish you all the luck in the world, and pray for you that you don't loose out on that special bonding expereince.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

How old is baby now?

Are you exclusively breastfeeding at the breast now, or still some pumping and bottles?

Are your nipples damaged at all?

Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM
He is 6 days old. Born 12/26.
I'm trying to cut formula out completely.
He's a snacker, lazy eater. Basically goes all day eating off and on.
I'm nursing on demand and pumping in between. The only formula he gets is if there's none pumped and he's fussing from getting nothing out and I can't express anything.
I got some of the Lanisoh cream to go ahead and start using but they're not damaged yet. Just sore. It's only been a few days.

**** his jaundice was caused by blood type issues. My placenta abrupted and they didn't realize it til he was damn near crowning. My labor started hard at about 2pm, at 3:30pm I was at hospital, and at 4:41pm he was here! It was very very fast. And he was out in five pushes. But I'm O- and he's A+. So when they mixed it was worse for him I guess. He lost alot of blood as well. They also said he needs to eat 1 1/2 to 2oz every 2-3 hrs max. Seems like alot to me.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

How old is baby now?

Are you exclusively breastfeeding at the breast now, or still some pumping and bottles?

Are your nipples damaged at all?

Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Thank you. It's so frustrating because I wanted this time to be different. W my first son I thought my milk wasn't coming in, so I had to start w formula. And although my milk finally came in, I couldn't kick the formula completely.

Quoting JTnJT:

With my oldest her Billi count was 20 when I left the hospital with her, they told me not to breastfeed, to use formula, because she could get billirubin from the breastmilk....she spent her first week at home in a bilibed....looking back, I wish I hadn't listened to the doctor, and went ahead and breastfed....by the time she was out of the bilibed....my supply was all but gone....being a new mother, no one told me the ins and outs of BF....as a result of what ultimetly was my own lack of education...I only ever BF my ODD while we were still in the hospital....I feel like I lost out on what should have been a special bonding time for my ODD and myself.....so right out of the gate....I'd felt as though I had already failed her....it's a miserable experience for a new mom....I wish you all the luck in the world, and pray for you that you don't loose out on that special bonding expereince.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Eating frequently is normal and healthy.  He has a tiny tummy right now, and needs to fill it often.  If he is getting at least six diapers in twenty four hours then there is no need to supplement, or pump between feeds.

Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM
His latch is fine. Some times I can't get anything out after massaging and him latching there's still nothing. So that's when he'll get the pumped. I know I'm building a supply. He was just born a week ago. So I know we'll be able too ebf
He has to checked on Wednesday again.

Quoting preacherskid:

Are you still giving bottles?  How are his bili levels?  Sounds like his latch needs a good check over by an IBCLC, and you may want to use something other than a bottle to feed him if he is not latching while you work on the latch.  If he is latching first step is to cut supplements out slowly, and fix whatever latch issues he may have.  Alternate feeding vessels: syringe, cup (with or without lid), spoon, SNS.

Ginnygurl97
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM
I know he should be eating frequently. He has at least 6-8 diapers a day and usually 2 poops. The doctors said he needs more right now. To go ahead and breast feed as much as I can, but if he's not getting 1 1/2-2 oz every 2-3 consistently, then I need to finish w formula. It's extremely hard trying to get him to eat that much. We recheck blood levels Wednesday. Hopefully they've gone down enough to cut back on the volume.

Quoting preacherskid:

Eating frequently is normal and healthy.  He has a tiny tummy right now, and needs to fill it often.  If he is getting at least six diapers in twenty four hours then there is no need to supplement, or pump between feeds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)