Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning advice

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi :) I'm Jessica, and I'm thrilled I found this group! I have 4 kids, 13, 9, 3, and 9 months, the older two are stepdaughters, and the younger two are breastfeeding. As I'm sure most of you know, an almost 4 year old (in March) isn't considered 'normal' or 'healthy' by many people, so I hope that in this group, I won't face the judgment or rude comments I've so o,ften gotten. I love breastfeeding, and I'm fine with letting him nurse as long as he wants, but I do plan to wean him soon if he doesn't on his own, because I am pregnant again. So, ladies, any tips on how to best wean an almost 4 year old? It doesn't have to be right away, in fact, I'd prefer to wait until Spring to do it, but since I've never done this before, I hope someone has some advice!

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I weaned my children one step at a time, and lots of distractions. How often does your 4 yr old nurse?

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM

also, you said your son isn't "normal" or "healthy", what do you mean by that (no judgement here), just to get a better picture of your situation.

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, I don't have any advice in the weaning dept as Im still nursing my 15 month old son. But you def won't get any bad or mast comments in this group. O know there's one mom on here who is nursing her 5 yr old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happysnappyJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Quoting Precious333:

also, you said your son isn't "normal" or "healthy", what do you mean by that (no judgement here), just to get a better picture of your situation.

Oh, he's normal and healthy, I meant that some people don't consider his still nursing to be normal or healthy. He's perfectly normal and the healthiest of all my children. 

happysnappyJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting Precious333:

I weaned my children one step at a time, and lots of distractions. How often does your 4 yr old nurse?

He nurses quite a bit, though he has had a few periods where he'll cut down on his own, but at the moment, he is nursing pretty often, I'd say every three hours or so he'll come and ask, and if he gets woken up at night, he'll want to nurse. 

happysnappyJ
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Well, I don't have any advice in the weaning dept as Im still nursing my 15 month old son. But you def won't get any bad or mast comments in this group. O know there's one mom on here who is nursing her 5 yr old.

That's awesome! I wouldn't have a problem nursing till 5, but like I said, I'm pregnant and three is too much!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Don't worry, it is considered both normal and healthy here! I'm currently nursing my 3 1/2 yr old.

AAt this age, chances are, he will wean himslef by next Spring.

Kids at this age are usually pretty good at reasonable limits. Many do fine at this age reserving nursing for right before bed, maybe first thing in the morning. You can often find ways to replace nursing sessions. If you want to eliminate nursing that is part of a bedtime routine you may be able to turn bedtime routine over to your partner.

You can gradually limit nursin guntil you are down to only once a day, then when you want to be 100% done, eliminate that last one.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Quoting happysnappyJ:

Quoting Precious333:

Oh, he's normal and healthy, I meant that some people don't consider his still nursing to be normal or healthy. He's perfectly normal and the healthiest of all my children. 

oh, ok, I thought he may have had special needs or something. Well, he is older, I'm thinking you can just talk to him about it. Make a big deal that he will be a big brother now, and you are going to need a lot of help with the new baby.  You can also remind him that as a big boy he gets to do things that little baby can't. Like ride a bike, or eat ice cream (or some favorite treat that you don't allow the baby to have). I weaned my children children wihen siblings came (one after the birth and one before), but they younger, so it was harder to explain and deal with. GL :)

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting happysnappyJ:

Quoting Precious333:

He nurses quite a bit, though he has had a few periods where he'll cut down on his own, but at the moment, he is nursing pretty often, I'd say every three hours or so he'll come and ask, and if he gets woken up at night, he'll want to nurse. 

have you looked into dr. Jay Gordon's website on nightweaning? It worked so far with two of my kids, and started doing it with my third, but he got sick so I started nursing at night again....but I would say, lots of distraction. When you can tell that he may ask again (maybe has has somewhat of a routine, like when its near  time to eat, or if he's bored), than you can give a special snack before he asks or have a special activity for him to do to distract him.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I have twins that I nursed to 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. The twin that weaned at 3 1/2 weaned on his own but the twin that nursed to over 4 1/2 needed a little encouragement (at that point, I was ready to be done). He was only nursing once a day at that point, so I what I came up with was a chart.If he didn't nurse that day, he got a star on his chart. When his chart was filled up, he got a prize. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)