Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Gasp* I can't believe my 6yo said that!!!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 22 Replies

My 6yo dd got a baby doll for Christmas. It came with a cute little diaper bag filled with diapers, baby food and a bottle. She loved it :-)

So I walk in the room and she's busy getting everything set up and she asked me to hand her the bottle. Being playful, I ask her if the bottle is filled up with Boo- boo milk? She turns, gives me a serious look and says deadpan, "No, the bottle has Formula in it." "I made a choice to feed my baby Formula."

Okay then,lol. I took a moment to get the humor off my face and replied, "You're right." " It is absolutely your choice to feed your baby what you think is best."

This is coming from a child who is still breast fed... LOL

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM

interesting, maybe she assumed a bottle was for formula? Or maybe she was curious about formula feeding.....very interesting that she is still breastfed too! lol

paganbaby
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM

No, she knows I used to pump. I think she got this from my sil. She's very anti bf and only FF. She just had a baby a few weeks ago too.

Quoting Precious333:

interesting, maybe she assumed a bottle was for formula? Or maybe she was curious about formula feeding.....very interesting that she is still breastfed too! lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

oh, I see. I think I remember seeing a book out trhere about how mammals nurse their babies and it shows how mommies nurse their babies too. Maybe that will help, if you feel the need to reintroduce how normal breastfeeding is.

Quoting paganbaby:

No, she knows I used to pump. I think she got this from my sil. She's very anti bf and only FF. She just had a baby a few weeks ago too.

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
SadieJames
by Sarah on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That's funny.  I think one of the hardest parts of raising children is not laughing at them (does that make me a bad person? Lol). Sometimes I have to sit and seriously wonder where they got something - and by the time I've figured it out they've changed their minds.

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Sounds like she is repeating something she heard. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                         ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM
My thoughts exactly

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Sounds like she is repeating something she heard. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM
That's would actually make me a little sad. Although it is funny because I know kids that age say some crazy stuff.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

This is her way of trying to process and come to terms with this mixed information she is getting. The truth is, in the long run, the fact that you breastfed her to age 6 is going to mean a lot more to her, in in more ways influence her, than the formula feeding aunt.

Kids repeat things they are struggling with. Six months after the fact my 3 1/2 year old tells someone (often a stranger in the supermarket) "My dog Callie died." Then usually follows it with, "We have a new dog named Sara."

I think it is a similar thing with the "chosing to formula feed". At her age it may even be more of a, will mommy still love me if I choose to formula feed? Knowing your feelings about it. Kids at that age often wonder, will they still love me if XXX?

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Precious333:

paganbaby
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I remeber that book! It was called mama's milk. I read it to my son pre school class after his teacher attempted to kick me out for bfing my then 2yo. I think I'll check it from the library.

Quoting Precious333:

oh, I see. I think I remember seeing a book out trhere about how mammals nurse their babies and it shows how mommies nurse their babies too. Maybe that will help, if you feel the need to reintroduce how normal breastfeeding is.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Precious333:

paganbaby
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I so agree LOL!

Quoting SadieJames:

That's funny.  I think one of the hardest parts of raising children is not laughing at them (does that make me a bad person? Lol). Sometimes I have to sit and seriously wonder where they got something - and by the time I've figured it out they've changed their minds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)