Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF-ing and diaper chart...how are we doing?

Posted by   + Show Post

DS's pedi wants me to keep a chart of feedings and diapers for the next two weeks. Here is what we've done so far today...how are we doing? (the "day" starts at midnight)

2:06A, Left-8min, Right-6min

5:25A Left-35min (we fell asleep), Right-none, Wet-2 (1 soked diaper), Dirty-1

7:25A Left-none, Right-10min

8:30A Wet-1

9:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

11:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

12:45P Dirty-1

2:55P Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

6:30P Left-10min, Right-7min, Wet-1, Dirty-1

Total he has had 7 wet and 3 dirty. He is 5 days old today....how are we doing?? Is he getting enough to eat? am I doing alright (I feed on demand rather than schedule) and is he making enough diapers? Please keep in mind there are still 4 and a half hours left of the day left.

EDIT: I didn't realize that they didn't ask all new moms to do this....but if it's not really necessary, I think i'm just going to could diapers....the whole timing and charting of which breast, when and how long was getting irritating already.

Thank you ladies.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Would you send it to me? I need a liner for my bird's cage.

Quoting arigdon4:

IDK why, but they gave me 2 weeks worth of this chart to use so I have been...

BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

For 5 days old he is doing great. Awesome diaper count. Why are you charting? It seems unnecessary.

almondpigeon
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Why do they want you to do this? I've never heard of a doc asking for this?
motherslove82
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Looks good to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Because doctor wants to find a reason to tell you to use formula, either it will be baby didnt nurse long enough times or enough times a day or something

Quoting arigdon4:

Quoting shortyali:

This. I even drove the hospital nuts cause I didn't count in that stupid paper they wanted all the time. Is there a reason that you have to do this?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHY in the world does the ped have you being so OCD? to drive you nuts?

He has the perfect number of wets and sounds great.

It doesnt matter how long baby nurses on each side or what time honestly, all that will drive you BONKERS

MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Oh, and remember that ped advice is just that--advice. :)

MonicaV1982
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Or nursing too long, etc.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Because doctor wants to find a reason to tell you to use formula, either it will be baby didnt nurse long enough times or enough times a day or something

Quoting arigdon4:

Quoting shortyali:

This. I even drove the hospital nuts cause I didn't count in that stupid paper they wanted all the time. Is there a reason that you have to do this?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

It doesnt matter how long baby nurses on each side or what time honestly, all that will drive you BONKERS

shortyali
by Alicia on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah stop the chart and when they ask just say you lost it or forgot it or something. It's just going to drive you nuts and make it seem like bfing is harder than it is.
Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting arigdon4:

Quoting shortyali:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

They can't fire you. They can't jail you. They can't do dick to you. Count diapers and throw the paper away. Or just fudge the damned thing.  Or best of all-find a ped who was a breastfeeding Mom-she won't give you any charts to fill out or ask you to time things!

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I charted (via an app on my iphone) for 4 months. Honestly, I liked it... I've got 2 older children, and I've got 1 place upstairs and 1 place downstairs where I change diapers, so "just setting them out" didn't work for me. Plus it helped me keep track of which breast is next, and as she's gotten older, a time frame of when I could expect her to eat again, as well as help me remember when it's poop day. Timing the feedings was just apart of the app- I opened the app, clicked the R, for right breast and clicked stop when we were done.

I was probably a little over the top because with my 2nd, I was dumb, didn't ask the right people the right questions, and/or the right people didn't tell me the right info, so I was willy nilly about the whole thing. And he wasn't getting enough, so I was bound and determined that this time that wasn't going to happen, so I charted until I decided her and I now have a comfortable system, I know her cues, so I stopped (just yesterday actually!).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN