Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF-ing and diaper chart...how are we doing?

Posted by   + Show Post

DS's pedi wants me to keep a chart of feedings and diapers for the next two weeks. Here is what we've done so far today...how are we doing? (the "day" starts at midnight)

2:06A, Left-8min, Right-6min

5:25A Left-35min (we fell asleep), Right-none, Wet-2 (1 soked diaper), Dirty-1

7:25A Left-none, Right-10min

8:30A Wet-1

9:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

11:45A Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

12:45P Dirty-1

2:55P Left-10min, Right-10min, Wet-1

6:30P Left-10min, Right-7min, Wet-1, Dirty-1

Total he has had 7 wet and 3 dirty. He is 5 days old today....how are we doing?? Is he getting enough to eat? am I doing alright (I feed on demand rather than schedule) and is he making enough diapers? Please keep in mind there are still 4 and a half hours left of the day left.

EDIT: I didn't realize that they didn't ask all new moms to do this....but if it's not really necessary, I think i'm just going to could diapers....the whole timing and charting of which breast, when and how long was getting irritating already.

Thank you ladies.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Replies (21-27):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I notice that most feedings last 10 mintues (never longer except for the one where you fell asleep). Are you ending feedings at 10 minutes because the doc (or someone) told you to? if so, STOP! 

Put baby on the breast, let him nurse as long as he likes. When he comes off or falls asleep, burp him and offer the other side. Don't watch the clock, only watch the baby.

Watch for 5 wets and 3 poops minimum in 24 hours. If you are getting those amounts, then no need to write down every feeding, every diaper etc.

I've successfully breastfed 3 children and never once did I write down or keep track of their feedings.

Just becasue the doc gave it to you to do, you don't need to do it. It was a suggestion, not a comand. If the doc gives you crap about not doing it, then that will be your signal to find another doctor.

The only thing the doctor needs to look at when you come in is the baby!

swmmra
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

plenty of diapers!! In fact those are great!  I wouldn't time how long he is at the breast, you really don't need to. Just continue to feed on demand and offer both breasts. 

arigdon4
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I though it was interesting to see the chart as well.

But the whole timing of what breast, when and how long is getting annoying and was irritating last night when I just wanted to feed and sleep...

I think from now on i'll just keep track of diapers.

Quoting mckinneymom918:

I charted (via an app on my iphone) for 4 months. Honestly, I liked it... I've got 2 older children, and I've got 1 place upstairs and 1 place downstairs where I change diapers, so "just setting them out" didn't work for me. Plus it helped me keep track of which breast is next, and as she's gotten older, a time frame of when I could expect her to eat again, as well as help me remember when it's poop day. Timing the feedings was just apart of the app- I opened the app, clicked the R, for right breast and clicked stop when we were done.

I was probably a little over the top because with my 2nd, I was dumb, didn't ask the right people the right questions, and/or the right people didn't tell me the right info, so I was willy nilly about the whole thing. And he wasn't getting enough, so I was bound and determined that this time that wasn't going to happen, so I charted until I decided her and I now have a comfortable system, I know her cues, so I stopped (just yesterday actually!).

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Diapers are great.  The ONLY time I used a chart like that was when odd and I were in the hospital for three days when she was four months old- she got severely dehydrated and was running a fever of 104 when admitted.  That morning she was fine.  So we were tracking her diapers, which were also weighed before tossing, to make sure she was taking in enough milk before discharge.  Ditch the chart, you are going to make yourself crazy with all that obsessive noting.  Put out six diapers.  If you need more before the end of the day, you are doing fine :)

paganbaby
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I wish I knew this when my kids were tiny. Would have saved me so much stress! But that's okay though, I'll remember to pass this on to any new bfing moms I know.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

There is NO REASON to time feedings! Let baby stay on for as long as baby needs and then offer the other side. Repeat if necessary. Honestly keeping these records often only serves as a step toward weaning. Docs ARE NOT trained in BFing. Speak to an IBCLC if you need to. What is going on? Dirty diapers count as two. Anything soaked (more than 4 tablespoons) equals 2.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I charted Dipes And sides/times of feedings for the first week. (More for my personal over the top baby book to compare how things were gaining day by day). But stopped once my milk fully came in and I didn't have to "guess" which side she ate from last time. I also stopped feeding from both sides at about 2 weeks too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clh1989
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM

That's what I was going to ask too. Did the doc tell you only 10 minutes each side? Like she said, just feed the baby on one side until they come off, however long that is. You can offer the other side after that but is okay if they don't take it. 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I notice that most feedings last 10 mintues (never longer except for the one where you fell asleep). Are you ending feedings at 10 minutes because the doc (or someone) told you to? if so, STOP! 

Put baby on the breast, let him nurse as long as he likes. When he comes off or falls asleep, burp him and offer the other side. Don't watch the clock, only watch the baby.

Watch for 5 wets and 3 poops minimum in 24 hours. If you are getting those amounts, then no need to write down every feeding, every diaper etc.

I've successfully breastfed 3 children and never once did I write down or keep track of their feedings.

Just becasue the doc gave it to you to do, you don't need to do it. It was a suggestion, not a comand. If the doc gives you crap about not doing it, then that will be your signal to find another doctor.

The only thing the doctor needs to look at when you come in is the baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN