Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

supply with TT ??

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM
mel
  • 19 Replies
I havent pumped or nursed Leilani in about 3weeks now. And Ellie has gone from nursing 20-25 to 35+ a day for 4-5wets. Ive been watching and it seems like she cant get anything or not much after letdown. But when i letdown she bites down and pulls back cause she cant handle the flow. Shes almost always ontop.

Was it the pumping/Leilani that was helping my supply? Is this fine? Will this be fine until the 15th?

Im going to look into borrowing a car/taking the train or bus from boston to albany. Im not finding very good reviews of the ents here in boston area. Concerned about not cutting deep enough.

Sorry for all the questions its a completly new area for me. I have no idea what im doing or should be doing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM
How old is she? Sometimes after 4 months, when your supply regulates, it becomes a lot more difficult for a baby with a tie to get the milk out.

I got DSs tt clipped correctly at 3 months. Italy a huge difference, well, that, plus quitting milk products (he's allergic, didn't figure it out until 3.5 months), & occupational therapy mouth exercises.

It's definitely worth getting cut IMO. It could affect your supply BUT if you were previously nursing a toddler and a baby your body should be able to pick up supply when the demand (after the tie is cut I mean) is fixed
melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Shes 9mo. The plan is definetly to cut it. She has an appointment scheduled on the 15th.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

How old is she? Sometimes after 4 months, when your supply regulates, it becomes a lot more difficult for a baby with a tie to get the milk out.

I got DSs tt clipped correctly at 3 months. Italy a huge difference, well, that, plus quitting milk products (he's allergic, didn't figure it out until 3.5 months), & occupational therapy mouth exercises.

It's definitely worth getting cut IMO. It could affect your supply BUT if you were previously nursing a toddler and a baby your body should be able to pick up supply when the demand (after the tie is cut I mean) is fixed

Char07
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Yea the extra pumping/nursing was likely helping a lot. My plan was to tandem and hope that it helped with supply for any tt issues but Anna weaned when I was 28 weeksish. Can you start pumping some to help keep a higher supply between now and the 15th, I'd think it would be easier to try and keep it than get it back then and weights/diapers could drop a lot in that time as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about supply if you are planning on getting it cut - your body should be able to adjust if its within a reasonable time period!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Shes 9mo. The plan is definetly to cut it. She has an appointment scheduled on the 15th.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Ok yah thats what i was wondering.
The tt is brand new to me. But i had been pumping and she weighs 2oz less then 2mo ago, which is hard to evaluate because 2oz isnt much and loss isnt unusual after 6mo but i feel a drop in supply from last week. And i dont want to get into a real supply prob ontop of a tt with a baby who wont take bottle/sippy.

Quoting Char07:

Yea the extra pumping/nursing was likely helping a lot. My plan was to tandem and hope that it helped with supply for any tt issues but Anna weaned when I was 28 weeksish. Can you start pumping some to help keep a higher supply between now and the 15th, I'd think it would be easier to try and keep it than get it back then and weights/diapers could drop a lot in that time as well.

melindabelcher
by mel on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Ok thankyou. I just wasnt sure since it dropped from the last couple weeks if it'll maintain here or dip lower in the next 2weeks.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I wouldn't worry too much about supply if you are planning on getting it cut - your body should be able to adjust if its within a reasonable time period!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Char07
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Wanted to add you are probably more likely to get it (supply) back easier than some of us that weren't tandem nursing an efficient toddler during the initial weeks after birth but also know that while the clipping is the best chance for better nursing and some see wonderful results immediately, for some it's not as fast and takes time (we are almost 2 months post revision) and while he nurses much better it's still not perfect, we are also doing bodywork with a chiropractor and contemplated craniosacral therapy to help as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I think trying to get to Albany to see Dr Kotlow is the way to go. Dr. Kotlow will be able to get you in right away (the fact that the other doc scheduled you for the 15th is a sign that they are not as great with infants/breastfeeding, unless the doc is out of town or something). All of the really good infant/breastfeeding knowledgeable frenotomy surgeons get babies in within days of you calling.

Meanwhile, pumping to maintain a full milk supply is really important!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

That drop in weight is a concern. Don't just stick it out until the TT is clipped. Pump, pump, pump!!!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Ok yah thats what i was wondering.
The tt is brand new to me. But i had been pumping and she weighs 2oz less then 2mo ago, which is hard to evaluate because 2oz isnt much and loss isnt unusual after 6mo but i feel a drop in supply from last week. And i dont want to get into a real supply prob ontop of a tt with a baby who wont take bottle/sippy.

Quoting Char07:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Thats concerning. Is there a correlation between the older the child when clipped and the longer to see results?

Quoting Char07:

Wanted to add you are probably more likely to get it (supply) back easier than some of us that weren't tandem nursing an efficient toddler during the initial weeks after birth but also know that while the clipping is the best chance for better nursing and some see wonderful results immediately, for some it's not as fast and takes time (we are almost 2 months post revision) and while he nurses much better it's still not perfect, we are also doing bodywork with a chiropractor and contemplated craniosacral therapy to help as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN