Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help Looking for a Babysitter--Not OT. :)

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm considering finding a sitter through Care.com because of the ability to check backgrounds. I still want to make sure to find BF friendly babysitters. This would just be for occasional outings. What questions should I ask? How do I broach the subject?

ETA: If anyone is in Northern Virginia (Annandale, Arlington, DC areas; let me know. :) )

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM
3 moms liked this

"Are you familiar with techniques for bottle feeding breastfed babies? Describe them."

"Because my daughter is breastfed, I have specific guidelines for how she should be fed. Will you have a problem following them?"

And here's my biggie:

"Tell me how you soothe a crying baby."  If "give them a bottle" is the first answer, you likely need to find another candidate.

MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

"Are you familiar with techniques for bottle feeding breastfed babies? Describe them."

This won't be an issue. :) She just started taking bottles, and I plan on only being out a few hours, so I'm not going to be pumping since I don't respond that well. :)

"Because my daughter is breastfed, I have specific guidelines for how she should be fed. Will you have a problem following them?"

How do I bring up BLW? I let her have those pouches too. I'm thinking of showing the sitter how she takes the pouches. I hold the pouch horizontal and let her take it to her mouth or out, and when she keeps taking it out that means she's done. Only rule right now is no citrus, because she broke out in a rash recently after I gave her a bit of Tang (christmas celebration mixed with tons of water).

And here's my biggie:

"Tell me how you soothe a crying baby."  If "give them a bottle" is the first answer, you likely need to find another candidate.

I like this one!

Okay, so here's an example of what I would write (BTW, Care.com already does background checks)

Dear _______,

I am interested in your babysitting services and have been impressed by your profile here on Care.com. I have a few questions for you that I am asking all potential child care providers.

1. I see that you have ____ years of experience caring for infants. Do you have any experience caring for exclusively breastfeeding infants? Describe your experience.

2. Because my daughter is breastfed, I have specific guidelines for how she should be fed. Will you have a problem following them?

3. My child is at the developmental stage and has separation anxiety when apart from me. Tell me how you soothe a crying baby.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Looks good!

MaMaLaLa78
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:24 AM

We used care.com and we found a group of lovely college students who do great watching our kiddos.  I signed up for awhile- interviewed like crazy and then kept my list of go-to sitters.  We have a favorite of course and she came from care.com

I loved the experience we had with care.com 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM
My only issue is question 2 how will she know if she will have any problems unless you state the guidelines up front?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Good point! How about adding in how because I nurse before leaving and only plan on being gone a limited time that all avenues of calming should be tried before feeding, and that she shouldn't be encouraged to continue eating if she is showing signs of being finished.

Quoting comptonkids:

My only issue is question 2 how will she know if she will have any problems unless you state the guidelines up front?

.3xBlessed.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I found a sitter on care.com, but I had to go through a few before I found her. And she is perfect for us. She works with my cloth diapering and breast feeding, and charges 10/hour for three kids. They adore her, and I hope she never leaves us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I forgot to think about the cloth diapering. I have an AI2 system that I have set up, so the caregiver can use like an AIO and just toss in the basket whole, so I don't think it should be an issue because there is no folding, pinning, snappying, etc.)

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

I found a sitter on care.com, but I had to go through a few before I found her. And she is perfect for us. She works with my cloth diapering and breast feeding, and charges 10/hour for three kids. They adore her, and I hope she never leaves us!

.3xBlessed.
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I use pockets, and have them all pre stuffed so she only has to take them off of her, throw them in a bucket, and snap a new one on. I was determined to cloth diaper, so I am the designated diaper washer/stuffer.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I forgot to think about the cloth diapering. I have an AI2 system that I have set up, so the caregiver can use like an AIO and just toss in the basket whole, so I don't think it should be an issue because there is no folding, pinning, snappying, etc.)

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)