Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

reverse cycling, refusing bottle....need help!!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I have been off work for the past ten days.  My dd is at daycare 5 days a week and gets approx 12 oz a day.  She only gets the bottle at daycare.  So yesterday was her first day back at the sitter and from 7 am until 5 pm she only at an 1/2 an ounch :( my sitter tried everything she could think of.  She said she was only fussy for a few hours.  Anyway I know she does the whole reverse cycling thing where she eats all night and eats very little during the day but 1/2 ounce. Once I got her home she was as happy as she could be laughing giggling, didnt act like she was starving.  So I fed her and she took a nap.  It was a normal night.  She nursed during the night normal.  So stupid me told me Non breastfeeding mother about this.  She FLIPPED!!!!!!! OMG she was giving me an earful.  Telling me how terrible i was for letting this happen, that during my time off i should have been giving her a bottle.  She doesnt understand that she will not take a bottle from me.  I am the first one in my family to breast feed so everyone has answers but have never been through it.  I know I am a good mom.  My daughter is 5 months and is a little chunk.  Healthy as ever!!!  I am doing what I think is best for her, yes I feel terrible that she is fussy and will not take her bottle.  Idk what to do.  Anyone have an suggestions??  Has anyone tried breastmilk slushies??  Thanks :)  Do you think Im being terrible for letting this happen???

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucaslexie
by Hollie on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

BUMP!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
No bumping :)
Shes fine continue as you are. You can try a sippy cup but theres nothing wrong with how its working now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mindysue852
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has been doing the same thing the last month, he's refused every single bottle and sippy we've offered (at least 7 diff kinds.) He started that after I spent a month home while I was on sabbatical from work. I just didn't think of feeding bottles then cause bf is so much more convenient and he never had a problem taking bottles before that. He just turned 8 months so he does eat about 4 oz of fruits or veggies a day. His dr wrote me a note limiting the amount of hours I can work a day to 7-8 since I normally work 13 hour shifts and said it is ok for him to go the 8 hours without milk as long as he is making up for it when I'm home. Good luck, I know how stressful it is! I feel terrible myself because I wish I could just be home with him anyways!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting lucaslexie:

Ok so I have been off work for the past ten days.  My dd is at daycare 5 days a week and gets approx 12 oz a day.  She only gets the bottle at daycare.  So yesterday was her first day back at the sitter and from 7 am until 5 pm she only at an 1/2 an ounch :(

That's OK.

my sitter tried everything she could think of.  She said she was only fussy for a few hours.  Anyway I know she does the whole reverse cycling thing where she eats all night and eats very little during the day but 1/2 ounce. Once I got her home she was as happy as she could be laughing giggling, didnt act like she was starving.  So I fed her and she took a nap.  It was a normal night.  She nursed during the night normal.

As long as her diopes are good... all fine.

So stupid me told me Non breastfeeding mother about this.  She FLIPPED!!!!!!! OMG she was giving me an earful.  Telling me how terrible i was for letting this happen, that during my time off i should have been giving her a bottle.

Ignore her.

She doesnt understand that she will not take a bottle from me.  I am the first one in my family to breast feed so everyone has answers but have never been through it.  I know I am a good mom.  My daughter is 5 months and is a little chunk.  Healthy as ever!!!  I am doing what I think is best for her, yes I feel terrible that she is fussy and will not take her bottle.  Idk what to do.  Anyone have an suggestions??  Has anyone tried breastmilk slushies??  Thanks :)  Do you think Im being terrible for letting this happen???

Relax, tell this person NOTHING in the future, count dipes. You're perfect. NO MESSING WITH IT.

You can do breastmilk slushies if you want. No need to. Those may also get refused.

The major lesson here: Tell no one ANYTHING unless they need to know. And generally, most people NEED to know nothing at all.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM
My second daughter reverse cycled. I loved it. She nursed first thing when she woke up & then had a few small bottles at the sitter's house, and then nursed most of every evening & all night long. We had no problems making it to a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by Hollie on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

how many hours were you apart when she was at the sitter and how many ounces did she drink??

Quoting lillybug222:

My second daughter reverse cycled. I loved it. She nursed first thing when she woke up & then had a few small bottles at the sitter's house, and then nursed most of every evening & all night long. We had no problems making it to a year.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

We've seen babies take ZERO ounces for ten hours. No harm done.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I'm a teacher. I dropped her off around 7:30 & picked her up by 4:00. It honestly depended on the day, and now she's 3, so I have a hard time remembering!

I am hoping this one does the same thing, though. I swear it helped my supply stay up & allowed us to have no issues breastfeeding while I was working full time.

Quoting lucaslexie:

how many hours were you apart when she was at the sitter and how many ounces did she drink??

Quoting lillybug222:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Baby will be fine. :) Sadly breastfeeding is a topic for which people who actually have education and experience get put down or ignored; and the ignorant ones hold the stage.

lucaslexie
by Hollie on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

thanks!!!!

Quoting gdiamante:

We've seen babies take ZERO ounces for ten hours. No harm done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)