Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about donor milk and babies age.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

i just got 100 oz of milk from a momma that is from when her baby was a month old, is that ok to give to my 6 month old? i know its ideal to have it be the same age but it is ok if its not? there is still colustrum in the milk it looks like

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Closer in age is ideal but its not a problem to have milk from a younger babe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Yes, that is fine. Keep in mind that the alternative is formula. Human milk from any stage of lactation is an acceptable supplement (far superior to formula) for a baby of any age.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Good to know. I saw someone on eats on feets I wanted to donate to, but the milk is from when my baby was 1 month old, and her baby is 10 months.

Quoting melindabelcher:

maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

It really doesn't matter! It is human milk for a human baby. It is still 100 times better for the baby than formula, not matter what the age difference!

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Good to know. I saw someone on eats on feets I wanted to donate to, but the milk is from when my baby was 1 month old, and her baby is 10 months.

Quoting melindabelcher:

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I should have known that! I left my mom some frozen milk from when she was a month old the other day and my mom asked if it was ok and I told her its gotta be better than formula!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

It really doesn't matter! It is human milk for a human baby. It is still 100 times better for the baby than formula, not matter what the age difference!

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)