Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you plan to wean? Help... PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 32 Replies

When do you plan to wean? Jaxon is SO independent on boob milk im not sure how im going to do it. I never thought i would have this problem. I thought one year im done. Now im not sure. I never really pump because i dont get much. I heard of moms pumping and using a cup in such during the day to wean. Ive been giving him water in a cup but he hasnt got the concept of holding the cup and using it. So im sure im just going to have to wait and start using regular milk in a cup after he turns one... so i have my days covered.. but now im thinking about night time nursing. Is it such a bad thing to nurse at night then? And just keep at it till hes self weaned... will that make me super engorged during the day?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting ElizabethAnnNB:

When do you plan to wean?

PLANNED? At teeth. (Four months.) In actuality? 26 months.

No need to plan this one.

Jaxon is SO independent on boob milk im not sure how im going to do it. I never thought i would have this problem. I thought one year im done. Now im not sure.

That's FINE. The essence of parenting is to go with the flow and not plan too much because life always says, "HA!"

(Just plan for the college fund.)

I never really pump because i dont get much. I heard of moms pumping and using a cup in such during the day to wean. Ive been giving him water in a cup but he hasnt got the concept of holding the cup and using it. So im sure im just going to have to wait and start using regular milk in a cup after he turns one... so i have my days covered.. but now im thinking about night time nursing. Is it such a bad thing to nurse at night then? And just keep at it till hes self weaned... will that make me super engorged during the day?

In all seriousness, unless you have a strong personal objection to continuing to nurse, do nothing! And it must be YOUR personal objection. Not the opinion of ANYONE ELSE... their opinions don't count.

You can drop one feeding per week. You can nurse at night and not in the daytime. You can do anything you please! Be aware your child may have other ideas, though.

bellaamore
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM

My daughter refuses any milk besides mine.

We day weaned though. And she only nurses to sleep now, though many nights she may pass out without nursing

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I had "goals"  never really planned on weaning any of mine.

I do child-led weaning. 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
DS will self wean. He's 20 months & nurses a lot still.

My plan was 6 months or so, ha!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I'm hoping she stops at least around 3, but am open to the idea of child led weaning. There is absolutely no reason besides personal to wean at one. That is for formula fed babies to get them off bottles. There are benefits to nursing past one. :)

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I do not plan to wean, I plan to nurse until my child weans his/herself. If you want to wean after 1 yr then start by cutting out 1 nursing session a week until you're completely finished..do not go cold turkey(at day or night) for YOUR health.

BabyFruit Ticker

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I dont plan to wean my son, I plan for him to wean when he is ready.  YOur son is not even one, he is SUPPOSED to be dependant on boob milk, it should be atleast 75% of his nutritional intake for the day til 12 months old.  Theres no reason to pump, most moms who dont do it on a regular basis cant anyways.

Nursing past 1 is NOT a bad thing, even daytime.  In fact its a GREAT thing.

Your body will adjust to whatever you decide to do as long as its gradually done.

lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

i let them decide that. dd1 went to 3.5, dd2 to 21 months and ds is almost 1.5 and still going.

JoJoBean8
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Ds is 20 months and still nurses all day long. He'll stop when he is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luna321
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM
My son just turned 2 and I don't have a plan for when to wean. I hope to let him self wean. He is still very attached to nursing. You should do whatever YOU are comfortable with. I wouldn't be thinking about it before he's one though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)