Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I Need Help

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
So my son was born at 33 weeks. He has been in there for almost two weeks. He comes home tomorrow. I have been pumping milk for him while he has been in the hospital & I have been bringing up about 12 bottles almost everyday. One day I didn't drink any water all that day & now I'm starting to get less milk. Since I been pumping I have always been getting more milk out my right side than my left. What can I do to get my milk back to the way it was besides drinking lots of water?
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KCartair:

So my son was born at 33 weeks. He has been in there for almost two weeks. He comes home tomorrow.
Good for you!
I have been pumping milk for him while he has been in the hospital & I have been bringing up about 12 bottles almost everyday.
WOW!
One day I didn't drink any water all that day & now I'm starting to get less milk.
Water is the main ingredient... you cannot skimp on it. 64 ounces per day.
Since I been pumping I have always been getting more milk out my right side than my left.
Normal, not a problem.
What can I do to get my milk back to the way it was besides drinking lots of water?
Really, the water is the most important part. You can take fenugreek (3000mg/day, at any health food store) and eat oatmeal (steel cut) but you have to drink the water too. No water is like making bricks withou straw.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

what G said but also how often are you pumping? You really NEED to pump every 2 hrs during the day & every 2-3 at night!

BabyFruit Ticker

KCartair
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I drink water all day every day since I skipped that one day.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM

How many ounces are you pumping in 24 hours?

What kind of pump do you have?

How many times a day are you pumping?

KCartair
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM
On my right side where I pump the most milk I usually get about 3 1/2 to 4 oz. but on my left I get about 3oz's. I pump every two-three hours. I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced
Quoting maggiemom2000:

How many ounces are you pumping in 24 hours?

What kind of pump do you have?

How many times a day are you pumping?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wow... you're pumping a LOT. Consider that baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces; if you're getting six ounces every 3 hours that's about two days supply pumped per day!

I suspect your oversupply is settling a little too. 

KCartair
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I'm starting to get less milk in both now. But still my right one gets the most milk, I don't even feel when it's milk in my breast anymore I just pump every two-three hours.
Quoting gdiamante:

Wow... you're pumping a LOT. Consider that baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces; if you're getting six ounces every 3 hours that's about two days supply pumped per day!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting KCartair:

I'm starting to get less milk in both now.
Normal
But still my right one gets the most milk,
Normal
I don't even feel when it's milk in my breast anymore I just pump every two-three hours.
Also normal!
As your milk supply regulates you no longer "feel" the milk. It can be harder to maintain full milk porduction when exclusively pumping. Are you putting baby to the breast when you visit? Getting baby on the breast, and even spending time skin to skin will really help your supply in the long term.
As long as you are pumping at least 24-32 ounces in 24 hours, you are maintaining a full supply for your baby. That is the maximum amount he will ever need. If your output begins to drop below that then the best thing to do is to pump more frequently. Again, when baby is at the breast it will not be an issue.
You are doing great!!!!
Quoting gdiamante:

KCartair
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I put him to breast three times since he been born. The other day he was on & was getting some out. But then he stopped & just looked around & the nurse suggested that I give him his bottle she had already warmed up after 15mins of nothing.
Quoting maggiemom2000:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Urgh. Nurse told you wrong. If he stops and looks around, mealtime over.

Quoting KCartair:

I put him to breast three times since he been born. The other day he was on & was getting some out. But then he stopped & just looked around & the nurse suggested that I give him his bottle she had already warmed up after 15mins of nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)