Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

They put my baby on formula and I am devastated!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 72 Replies

My baby has been in the NICU around 70 days and I have been exclusively pumping to supply him with milk and now I can't keep up with him.  I have tried and tried and I can't keep my supply up enough so they have started supplementing him with formula.  I am completely devastated over this...

So I started taking Fenugreek 2 days ago so I can try and get my supply up...I want him to have as little formula as possible!  Has anyone seen any positive results from Fenugreek?  I do know that I already smell like a pancake house!

I also bought some Alfalfa which my LC said works well with Fenugreek.  Has anyone ever tried them together?  I haven't started taking the Alfalfa because I am waiting on results of my ANA test for Lupus and you aren't supposed to take it if you have Lupus but if my test results come back negative I'm going to start taking the Alfalfa as well.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

What pump?

how often are you pumping? 

How much per session?  

How much are they feeding at a time?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quoting MMerrill:

My baby has been in the NICU around 70 days and I have been exclusively pumping to supply him with milk and now I can't keep up with him.  I have tried and tried and I can't keep my supply up enough so they have started supplementing him with formula.  I am completely devastated over this...

How much ARE you supplying? If he gets ONE DROP per day... or one drop period... you're a success. Even if he never gets a second drop.

So I started taking Fenugreek 2 days ago so I can try and get my supply up...I want him to have as little formula as possible!  Has anyone seen any positive results from Fenugreek?  I do know that I already smell like a pancake house!

Yep. It works. But you have to be pumping enough (every two hours) AND baby has to be fed appropriately... 24-30 ounces per day.

I also bought some Alfalfa which my LC said works well with Fenugreek.  Has anyone ever tried them together?  

That ALSO works.

I haven't started taking the Alfalfa because I am waiting on results of my ANA test for Lupus and you aren't supposed to take it if you have Lupus but if my test results come back negative I'm going to start taking the Alfalfa as well.

Yep. I was going to ask what you're waiting for but you already answered! Alfalfa ALSO works.

What pump are you using?

Just because they've given him formula doesn't mean it's the end of breastfeeding. Even if he gets a drop or two of breastmilk a day that's GREAT. SOme is better than none.

JTnJT
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I only wish I had known about all this stuff when I had my oldest...although I've never tried it, my neighbor used....Domperidone (sp?)....I wish she were home so I could go ask her about it....although I can't speak with certainty....I don't think she had any major side effects, and I do know it did help her production and supply....again, not certain, but think you need an Rx.  May ask your LC about it....just a thought.

MMerrill
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Medela Symphony, I pump about every 3 hours when I get the chance.  Some days I can pump around the clock every 2-3 hours and some days I have things to do and I'm not able to.  I usually make between 5-20 ml on each side every time and he is eating 50ml every 3 hours.

Quoting preacherskid:

What pump?

How much per session?  

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting MMerrill:

How much ARE you supplying? If he gets ONE DROP per day... or one drop period... you're a success. Even if he never gets a second drop.

Yep. It works. But you have to be pumping enough (every two hours) AND baby has to be fed appropriately... 24-30 ounces per day.

I also bought some Alfalfa which my LC said works well with Fenugreek.  Has anyone ever tried them together?  

That ALSO works.

I haven't started taking the Alfalfa because I am waiting on results of my ANA test for Lupus and you aren't supposed to take it if you have Lupus but if my test results come back negative I'm going to start taking the Alfalfa as well.

Yep. I was going to ask what you're waiting for but you already answered! Alfalfa ALSO works.

What pump are you using?

Just because they've given him formula doesn't mean it's the end of breastfeeding. Even if he gets a drop or two of breastmilk a day that's GREAT. SOme is better than none.

I wanted to add, LOOK INTO DONOR MILK! You dont have to tell the hospital its donor milk if you dont want to either

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

to EP every 2 hours round the clock is a MUST, up the pumping sessions and you WILL see a difference.  Its a steady constant thing because you have to trick your body into thinking its the baby eatting.

Quoting MMerrill:

Medela Symphony, I pump about every 3 hours when I get the chance.  Some days I can pump around the clock every 2-3 hours and some days I have things to do and I'm not able to.  I usually make between 5-20 ml on each side every time and he is eating 50ml every 3 hours.

Quoting preacherskid:

What pump?

How much per session?  

MMerrill
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I've thought about it, they have 2 major different prescriptions but one can cause serious depression and I'm already on a low dose of Zoloft so I really am trying to stay away from anything like that.  I'd rather try and do it naturally before I try a prescription.

Quoting JTnJT:

I only wish I had known about all this stuff when I had my oldest...although I've never tried it, my neighbor used....Domperidone (sp?)....I wish she were home so I could go ask her about it....although I can't speak with certainty....I don't think she had any major side effects, and I do know it did help her production and supply....again, not certain, but think you need an Rx.  May ask your LC about it....just a thought.

wedding countdown

CafeMom Tickers

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I had an allergic reaction to fenugreek so I can't take it. How often are you pumping, how much are you getting per session?? To keep up supply you need to drink 64 oz of water daily &  pump every 2 hrs around the clock. Also eat oatmeal  it can help too.

BabyFruit Ticker

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Domperidone doesnt cause depression thats reglan.  Dom doesnt have that as a side effect.

Quoting MMerrill:

I've thought about it, they have 2 major different prescriptions but one can cause serious depression and I'm already on a low dose of Zoloft so I really am trying to stay away from anything like that.  I'd rather try and do it naturally before I try a prescription.

Quoting JTnJT:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM

btw take a MINIMUM of 12 fenugreek a day for now!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN