Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help?! sick momma and baby! i keep trowing up on her :/

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
Me and my 9 month old are both very sick! DD is nursing perfectly in fact nursing more and plenty of diapers.
Now up until the last 5 hours we have just been lazy. I have a gallon of water and Ginger ale in the room. DD has me and sips of water.

But the past 3 times I have nursed I have puked right in the middle of let down. She's one pissed baby I'm crying and were both covered in puke! :( I don't feel it coming on so I can't unlatch in time.
I have lots of bm in the deep freezer from march31-may1st. Dh wants to feed her a bottle and try to let me rest but after 2 failed breastfeeding children I'm so scared about supply, nipple preferance and keep yelling him no.
But I can't keep vomiting on her :/
Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can avoid the milk from teh freezer that would be best. Why? Baby really needs all of the antibodies right from the breast right now. Also, you are at risk for your supply dropping due to dehydration and you want to avoid less stimulation. If you can stick it out, keep nursing directly, and have dad take over baby when she is not nursing so you can rest.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Can you keep a bucket handy?? Like right by you &  all you have  to do is turn your head. You could try the bottle or even just put it in a cup if she feels like it. It would be worth a shot but  I wouldn't be surprised if she refuses because of the comfort she gets from you.

BabyFruit Ticker

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Girl!!!! Let your hubby feed baby and get some rest!!!

If you miss one feeding at nine months, it's not a big deal... you are sick! Allow yourself a break!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This.

Try doing the football hold so she's beside you instead of in front of you, and keep a bucket handy so you can throw up in that either in front or turning your head ot the other side.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you can avoid the milk from teh freezer that would be best. Why? Baby really needs all of the antibodies right from the breast right now. Also, you are at risk for your supply dropping due to dehydration and you want to avoid less stimulation. If you can stick it out, keep nursing directly, and have dad take over baby when she is not nursing so you can rest.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Ginger ale can help with that nausea. Or ginger tea. Ginger is a great tummy settler.

EmmaZate
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Ir peppermints! I learned the hard way that my tummy HATES ginger right now, so if its not working try peppermints. The peppermint oil works just as well as the ginger.

Quoting gdiamante:

Ginger ale can help with that nausea. Or ginger tea. Ginger is a great tummy settler.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Negatory on the peppermint... it can decrease supply.

Quoting EmmaZate:

Ir peppermints! I learned the hard way that my tummy HATES ginger right now, so if its not working try peppermints. The peppermint oil works just as well as the ginger.

Quoting gdiamante:

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM

dont do that ! though peppermint is wonderful with upset stomachs, peppermint is also one thing that likes to decrease supply ! and since you are already have a chance with that from dehydration, you dont want the peppermint to help with that. i dont think it would hurt to give baby a bottle once or twice a day, but i like the idea of using the football hold to feed baby and a bucket in the other hand !

Quoting EmmaZate:

Quoting gdiamante:

Duckyteers
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I was able to pump a good amount. (2oz in 4 hours) plus nurse her. Dh stood beside me holding a barf bag to my mouth LOL. So tonight ill nurse and *if* I'm still vomiting dh may feed her the one bottle. So ill get a extra hour or so. I'm just happy her nursing hasn't been affected by this bug or flu. :/ thanks for all the advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)