Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I Only Do One Side

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
Since. Son wa born(December 20) I been getting more milk in my right side than I do my left. Now I'm starting to get less coming out of the left side. Could I just keep pumping from the right side since that where the most milk is coming in at or keep doing both?
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM
If you just use side, you will most likely end up always being lopsided. I've been breastfeeding for ten months and my right has always produced more, but pumping from just my right has never given me enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Considering the fact that it can be difficult to maintain full milk production through pumping I would not recommend it. Most pumping moms see a decline in milk output over time. Also, dolbe pumping does  not take any longer than single pumping, and some studies show double pumping leads to more milk output than pumping each side alone (so if you are only pumping the one side, you may see less milk coming out of that side).

Everyone has one side that produces more.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Are you JUST pumping?  I would continue to pump both no matter what personally

KCartair
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I only pump I tried to put him to breast three times but he didn't stay on it.
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Then definitely pump both... EPing is very hard, but there are ladies here who can help you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

3 times? there are babies that fight it for weeks...like gdiamantes son, it is possible to get him to nurse and it would mean less chance of losing supply

Quoting KCartair:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine refused to nurse for the first 14 days of his life. It's possible to get him back on. But if you continue to pump only it must be from both sides; even the "small" amount you get from that one side (and remembering your other posts it's NOT a small amount at all but as much as most women get from BOTH sides) is going ot be very very very important.

Millertime77
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

You can nurse on one side only successfully.  My right side had an inverted nipple, so I had to wear the nipple shield on this side, dear son didn't like the shield, my milk never fully came in on the right side, so he only nursed on the left.  He still nurses on the left side and he is 27 months old.  I pumped at work using both breasts but would get such a small amount from the right side that I finally quit pumping on that side.  Yes, you will be lop-sided.  I am lop-sided.  But, with a proper bra, no one will notice unless you are naked.  Who cares about being lop-sided when your child is well-nourished and healthy?  You can do it momma!  Best wishes!

KelleyLitty
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
It took my ds and I one solid month to get him latched and nursing without problems. Keep trying and I bet your little one will get it eventually. EPing is soooo much work!

Quoting KCartair:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
If you still wish to nurse your baby these ladies can get him there! I exclusively pumped for 8 full weeks. These ladies helped me get him to the breast and now at 6.5 months we are still ebf! But if you wish to EP there is an exclusively pumping mommies group that know everything there is to know!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)