Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anesthesia and breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
I am having surgery in the am. They told me I have to pump and dump for 24 hours. How much truth is there to that? My pump is awful and I know I'm going to get so engorged. Would it be ok to nurse before the 24 hour mark?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
piwife
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM
That is not true at all. As soon as you are awake and back to normal you can go back to nursing :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

There is NO truth to that! The real answer is that when you are alert enough to safely hold your baby, you are safe to nurse!

Anesthesia is metabolized very quickly. If it is still in your system you are still asleep!

You only need to leave enough milk to feed baby while you are away having the procedure. You'll be ready to nurse soon after you're out of recovery.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Anesthesia wears off quickly. That's why you wake up. Moms can go under general anesthesia for a csection and nurse a 5lb newborn as soon as they wake up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

That is absolutely false.  Pump and dump for surgery (Anesthesia is the reason they give) is totally unnecessary.  If you are awake enough to hold baby, you are fine to breastfeed.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I had oral surgery when my son was a year and a half old, and I was told to pump and dump.  I did my research, and found out that it was totally fine to breastfeed a child as long as you are awake.  Then, the doc told me that the meds they gave me for pain are not safe to breastfeed.  But, as it was the same medication they gave me (as a breastfeeding mother) for pain after my cesarean.  I took it and figured if it was safe to take when my son was six hours old, it was safe to take when he was a year and a half old.

Docs tell you these things because they want to cover their butts (liability) and they just don't know any better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)