Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Silent reflux and breastfeeding Qs

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 4 Replies
Hi mommas! So I fear my 8week old has silent reflux! She has almost all the signs! I have a pretty fast letdown (she usually gulps the milk down) and i read this can be one of the causes! I would like to try block feeding! My Qs are:

1. How long do i feed from 1 boob from? (I usually feed 1boob per nursing but rotate left and right, this time i would prefer nursing from the left boob only but for how many nursing sessions?)

2. Do I pump the right boob, if yes how often?

3. Can I loose supply?

4. Sophie has been sleeping pretty good at nighttime so when i pump in the morning i get easy 4-5oz, but i just tried to pump now, 4 hours after and my right boob barely gave me 2oz! Again, loosing supply since my daughter does longer streches at night?

THANK YOU
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting szimona:

Hi mommas! So I fear my 8week old has silent reflux! She has almost all the signs! I have a pretty fast letdown (she usually gulps the milk down) and i read this can be one of the causes! I would like to try block feeding! My Qs are:
Then it's fast letdown. Not reflux. Reflux is often misdiagnosed; you have something that LOOKS like reflux but is caused by the letdown.
1. How long do i feed from 1 boob from? (I usually feed 1boob per nursing but rotate left and right, this time i would prefer nursing from the left boob only but for how many nursing sessions?)
Start with blocks of three hours. Increase them if the gulping doesn't stop after a day.
2. Do I pump the right boob, if yes how often?
Leave it alone unless you need milk for when you're going to be gone. THe point of block feeding is to reduce oversupply; pumping undoes the effect. If you're not going to be working, pump in the closet.
3. Can I loose supply?
Unlikely with this problem.
4. Sophie has been sleeping pretty good at nighttime so when i pump in the morning i get easy 4-5oz, but i just tried to pump now, 4 hours after and my right boob barely gave me 2oz! Again, loosing supply since my daughter does longer streches at night?

THANK YOU

Pump output normally drops in the evening. In fact, at this hour I wouldn't have expected you to get four DROPS. SO you definitely have oversupply along with fast letdown.

Your course of action:

1. Pump in the closet. Do it right now. Read more when the pump is put away.

Pump put away? Good. Here's the rest of your course of action.

2. Three hour blocks of nursing. 

3. Nurse "uphill." That is, you are leaning back, baby's on top of you and mouth is OVER the breast, never under. That lets gravity slow things down. It may be a long long time before you can use the traditional cradle hold but that's OK.. laid back nursing helps fulfill tummy time with no resistance from baby. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

What g said!!

Stop pumping. 

Nurse on one breast for 3-4 hrs, then the other side for the next 3-4 hr block. Still no improvement in a few days! Then try 6 hr blocks.

If you've been pumping on top of EBF then simply stopping pumping may solve 90% of the problem.

There is no such thing as "losing" your milk supply. Drop that out of your vocabulary. Your milk supply is established now and it can and will go up and own to continually meet the needs of your baby. You won't lose it, it won't go anywhere :-)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM
What they said! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM

1. start with 4 hours and go from there

2. no, unless you are incredibly uncomfortable.  If you get to that point, pump or hand express to comfort, not to empty

3. blockfeeding will decrease your supply to meet your baby's needs.  If you don't have an oversupply, choosing a different position to nurse in can be helpful (feeding uphill, baby on top of you)

4. NORMAL pump output is 0.5 oz - 2 oz from both breasts combined, you are NOT losing your supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)