Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Med and supply question!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay ladies...this will totally sound insane, but hear me out!

So on Friday, I was moving the couch and ended up taking off my big toenail. Yes, it DID hurt. Well, it was still attached tonight so I took it off completely (I'm pretty crazy, I think). I slathered it in antibiotic ointment and wrapped it in gause pads. 

Now I'm worried it could get infected and DH has some amoxicillin left over from some dental work last month. 

How would antibiotics affect my supply?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Duquesne
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM
It messes with the gut flora. But half an antibiotic course is not a good idea. Perfect for creating a super-resistant strand of infection:/

I don't think it messes with supply. Prophylactic antibiotics in general isn't a great idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I personally wouldn't take anything unless it got infected.  Also let it air out a bit each day (so the nail bed dries).  I have lost a few nails because of my old work and airing the bed out always worked - I never got an infection.  

The reason I wouldn't take the medicine is that it could lead to a worse infection (antibiotic resistant) 

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Well I'm worried of infection since when I was taking it off, I noticed a foul smell. Is that normal? I've kept it clean and dry so it worried me.

Quoting SadieJames:

I personally wouldn't take anything unless it got infected.  Also let it air out a bit each day (so the nail bed dries).  I have lost a few nails because of my old work and airing the bed out always worked - I never got an infection.  

The reason I wouldn't take the medicine is that it could lead to a worse infection (antibiotic resistant) 

Duquesne
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Dried blood can have a foul smell. As can feet ;).

However, half a course of antibiotics isn't smart. If you're worried it's infected, you need an entire course.

Quoting robibuni:

Well I'm worried of infection since when I was taking it off, I noticed a foul smell. Is that normal? I've kept it clean and dry so it worried me.

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

It can be normal or abnormal.  Underneath the corners of my toenails it always smells bad (yuck).  I would keep it clean and dry after showers and put the ointment and gauze on it if I was going somewhere.  Wen in doubt call your doc and he can call in a prescription for a full round of antibiotics.  Like PP said a partial round is bad,  it's by they always tell you to take ALL the ones you're prescribed (which your DH should have done!)

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting SadieJames:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Okay thanks I'll keep an eye on it. Going to sleep with it all wrapped up with antibiotic ointment on it tonight and I'll remove it tomorrow morning. Or is that too long?

Also, are there any signs of infection to look for?

Quoting SadieJames:

It can be normal or abnormal.  Underneath the corners of my toenails it always smells bad (yuck).  I would keep it clean and dry after showers and put the ointment and gauze on it if I was going somewhere.  Wen in doubt call your doc and he can call in a prescription for a full round of antibiotics.  Like PP said a partial round is bad,  it's by they always tell you to take ALL the ones you're prescribed (which your DH should have done!)

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Wrapped while you sleep - keeps the sheets from irritating.  In the am shower, dry off and air out.  Look for pus (green or yellow discharge, clear is OK), hot to the touch, red streaks coming from the bed down your toe or a VERY foul smell (make you vomit).  Hugs! 

Quoting robibuni:

Okay thanks I'll keep an eye on it. Going to sleep with it all wrapped up with antibiotic ointment on it tonight and I'll remove it tomorrow morning. Or is that too long?

Also, are there any signs of infection to look for?

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting SadieJames:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)