Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In emergency room need answers

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 32 Replies
Lulu has been puking today everytime she eats

So worried I took her to the Er because she was choking on it and I'm scared

Well they want to give her zofran. Anyone know of this?

I asked the nurse if me having a clogged duct could possibly be making her sick he said no she may not be able to just take my milk and I might have to switch to formula!! What a jerk!!! No help at all!!!

So here I am waiting and looking up info for zofran and really need advice :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
japanmommy
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I took zoftan when pregnant for my morning sickness, no side effects there. I hope she feels better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Not being able to take your milk sounds like crap.  Something like 0.00001 % of babies are actually unable to have their mothers milk. I know Zofran is prescribed for pregnancy vomiting so I would *assume* it's relatively safe for children but I don't know.  Please ask to speak to an IBCLC while at the hospital.  

Hugs mama!

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

she might be allergic to something you ate, but not a need to switch to formula. Jeeze, I hate hospitals.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
3 moms liked this
Anyone who tells you your baby can't handle your species specific, tailor made, additive free breastmilk is a complete idiot.

I don't know how old your baby is, or the whole story. Could be a virus? If not, you look for the cause. Usually an oversupply/overactive letdown that's easily managed. Sometimes it's dietary and you need to eliminate dairy (and if that's the case you'll be happy to be spared the extra crazy expense of the special formula baby would need)
Get out of that ER and find some real help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kayla-Kay
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Ibclc?? What is that? Lol and they don't want me to nurse her until 10 after midnight she took a dose of the zofran

Gah I want to smack that nurse and say wth you thinking mothers milk not being good for baby!!! Why would women be made with breasts if not to nurse their babies!???

Quoting SadieJames:

Not being able to take your milk sounds like crap.  Something like 0.00001 % of babies are actually unable to have their mothers milk. I know Zofran is prescribed for pregnancy vomiting so I would *assume* it's relatively safe for children but I don't know.  Please ask to speak to an IBCLC while at the hospital.  

Hugs mama!

queen_k0302
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Be careful. Its not recommended for kids under 12. My son was in the er with c-diff virus. They gave him zofran and he started hallucinating. He is #27 for it in the books. This was 2 yrs ago. He had to be flown to Little Rock Childrens Hospital.
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
According to my ped it is safe at very low does and not for long term use. Her throwing up could be acid reflux. My son had it so bad he would projectile vomit every time he ate. Ped checked for blockages when everything came back normal he put him on Zantac he's been better ever since. Hope you get answers and she feels better soon. P.s. that nurse is an idiot and should be ignored.
Kayla-Kay
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I'm calling her pedi in the morning I would feel much better after we leave her having her checked by the dr who monitored my entire pregnant delivered her and has known her since birth

The zofran they gave her seems to be working but we will see when I nurse her if she can keep it down.

She is 2 months old which was my big concern with giving her med

Quoting larissalarie:

Anyone who tells you your baby can't handle your species specific, tailor made, additive free breastmilk is a complete idiot.

I don't know how old your baby is, or the whole story. Could be a virus? If not, you look for the cause. Usually an oversupply/overactive letdown that's easily managed. Sometimes it's dietary and you need to eliminate dairy (and if that's the case you'll be happy to be spared the extra crazy expense of the special formula baby would need)

Get out of that ER and find some real help!
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
It's more than likely a stomach virus. My LOs both had it a month or two ago. My youngest had hit his head and got a but if concussion then the next day began throwing up anything he ate or drank. They gave him a little zofran and it stopped it completely. After that he just had the diarrhea that comes with te virus.
daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure about the meds, but she could just have a tummy bug. How old is she?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)