Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Torn on what to do!! Please help but don't judge!!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this
DS will be 1 next Tuesday and a boobie monster still bfing all the time. I love the bonding but dh and I want ttc. I'm still not getting period and we with all the past issues ive had we have the feeling that I won't ovulate until till baby is weened. With 1st DS I didn't get a period til baby was 5 months old and I only bf for 2wks. We haven't been preventing anything but still nothing. So today dh said I need to ween DS soon so we can have a baby. I really want another baby but I wanted DS to self ween. I'm heart broken. I don't want to end the bonding, but like I said think not might be the only way to get pregnant. :-( don't know what to do.

Sorry for long story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Do what you need to do. However, most women get their fertility back by 18 months at the latest. Very few need to wean.
I weaned my oldest cold turkey at 1. My other 2 have/are nursing far far past that. Each time my periods have returned at 15ish months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crheinheimer
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Does he still nurse a lot at night? Just going longer between feelings and limiting (or stopping, tho that's really hard) night nursing can cause you to start ovulating again. My son was 1 when we decided to have one more and he was still nursing all night long. I worked on cutting out about every other other feeding (it was a nightmare) for 2 weeks and not long after got pregnant. I'm now 20 weeks and he still nurses all night every night. Lol I'm not at all prepared for him to stop nursing, so I understand where you're coming from! Best of luck!
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
You've done fabulously just making it thus far. You need to do what is in the best interest of you and your little one. Personally I would not. I would try night weaning first before fully weaning. I would give it 6 more months at least. That's just my opinion. My period returned 15 months postpartum. My second period was 45 days later after my first which is when we decided to TTC. We got pregnant and am now 20 weeks along with our second and I'm still breastfeeding my now 21 month old.

Best wishes!!! As well as congratulations on making it a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Yes he nurses a lot at night and during the day. He seems to want to be on the boob all night. Lol

Quoting crheinheimer:

Does he still nurse a lot at night? Just going longer between feelings and limiting (or stopping, tho that's really hard) night nursing can cause you to start ovulating again. My son was 1 when we decided to have one more and he was still nursing all night long. I worked on cutting out about every other other feeding (it was a nightmare) for 2 weeks and not long after got pregnant. I'm now 20 weeks and he still nurses all night every night. Lol I'm not at all prepared for him to stop nursing, so I understand where you're coming from! Best of luck!

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I'm nervous, I don't think he would do well with cutting cold turkey. I also think I would cry one he weened and I didn't get pregnant. But on the other hand my boys are 8 1/2yrs apart and I don't want that gap again! Lol

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

You've done fabulously just making it thus far. You need to do what is in the best interest of you and your little one. Personally I would not. I would try night weaning first before fully weaning. I would give it 6 more months at least. That's just my opinion. My period returned 15 months postpartum. My second period was 45 days later after my first which is when we decided to TTC. We got pregnant and am now 20 weeks along with our second and I'm still breastfeeding my now 21 month old.

Best wishes!!! As well as congratulations on making it a year.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Bump
TTC2Long
by Gina on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I wouldn't do it. But now that he's 1, you can focus more on solids. That might help space his nursing out enough for your cycle to return. That's how it worked for me. :)
jackieb2811
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Well he is a year now (almost) get him eating more table foods (if he isn't) and drinking other drinks like regular milk, juice, water, you get the idea. It may take a week or 2 I would say the longest a month depending on how much you push it, but it will happen! Good luck!

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM
He eats what and when we eat. He's loves food. We haven't anything he doesn't like specially veggies.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I wouldn't do it. But now that he's 1, you can focus more on solids. That might help space his nursing out enough for your cycle to return. That's how it worked for me. :)

TTC2Long
by Gina on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:07 AM
That's great! Rather than night wean (I couldn't do it either), I cut back ds' constant nursing to just a few times a day with redirection - pretending like I didn't hear his request for numnums or saying, "Ok. Oh look! A puzzle!" Lol. If he really wanted to nurse, I'd let him, of course. But it did cut down the number of times we nursed.

Quoting NicLof2:

He eats what and when we eat. He's loves food. We haven't anything he doesn't like specially veggies.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)