Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping at Work

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 27 Replies

I'm expecting in April and have a couple of questions. 

For those of you who have pumped at work, what was your preferred pump and why?

How often did you pump in an 8 hr day and did you clean the pump after each use?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I worked 12 hour night shifts
I pumped twice during the night

I used Medela electric pump.
It came in a nifty backpack with a cooler for transport.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I loved my medela freestyle. You need a double electric by medela, lansinoh, ameda or hygeia.

Pumping every three hours is best. I pumped three times in my eight hour day. I also found pumping once a day from early on helped with my response to the pump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Lots of great info on preparing for your return to work here (when to start pumping, learning how to pump, how much milk to have stored before going back to work etc), I'll cut/paste the part on best pumps:

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/preparing-for-your-return-to-work_19.html

What type of pump should I use?

A high-quality, full-size, double-electric pump is recommended for a mom who plans to pump milk every day. A pump that is made by a manufacturer specializing in breastfeeding equipment will be of higher quality than cheaper pumps made by a company whose primary products are bottle-feeding equipment or baby food. A breast pump is an item for which the old adage, “You get what you pay for,” often rings true. Another option for many mothers is renting a multiple-user pump from a trusted source such as a Hospital, Tribal Health Clinic, or local IBCLC. Most WIC offices provide pumps to moms who are returning to work or school; contact your local WIC office to see if you qualify. Many families have health insurance that is willing to cover the cost of renting a hospital-grade pump. If you are able, call your insurance provider for the details of your own coverage when you are pregnant. Recent 2011 news from the IRS states that electric pumps are now tax deductible, so keep your receipts for your tax records.

In our opinion, the top three single user pumps on the market today are:
Pump Brand/Model
Cost range
Warranty
Mechanics
WHO-CODE
Hygeia Enjoye*
$180-300
3 year
Closed system
Compliant
Ameda Purely Yours
$150-180
1 year
Closed system
Compliant
Medela Pump in Style
$250-350
1 year
Open system
Non-compliant
*Sold in the category commonly referred to as single-user pumps; Hygeia is the only pump company that has sought and received FDA approval for their pump to be used by more than one person.

What is the difference between an open and closed system pump? 

With an open system, if milk or condensation makes its way into the tubing, it is possible for mold to begin to grow in the motor. There is no way to clean the pump motor, and any mold spores present could come through the tubing and possibly into contact with the expressed milk. Furthermore, if the pump is second-hand or was used by another mother, germs from one mother or her milk could contaminate the milk in the same way. An open system is built to be a single-user system only.

Closed system pumps are just what they seem: there is no way for the milk to come into contact with the motor. Theoretically, any closed system pump could be safely used by more than one person (each with her own tubing and other external pump parts). 

What is the WHO CODE, and why is it important to consider when buying a breast pump?

The “WHO CODE” is short for the World Health Organization’s International Code of the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. Part of the purpose of the WHO CODE is to protect breastfeeding by preventing aggressive marketing of breastmilk substitutes and artificial nipples. Many people prefer to purchase a breast pump from a company that is supportive of and compliant with the WHO CODE.

More information on both the breast pumps, the WHO CODE, and open and closed systems can be found at: The Problems with Medela

This zarticle has info on when you are bsck at work (how much milk to leave, how to store and rotate stored milk, working with caregiver etc.) http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html
How many times do I need to express milk at work?

How many times you pump at work will depend on a few factors: how long you are away from baby, how well you respond to milk-expression, and your work situation. Many working moms plan to pump milk at least as often as every 3 hours. If you are becoming engorged between pumping times, you may need to remove milk more frequently. Every mother has her own “magic number” and will differ in how frequently she needs to express her milk to both maintain milk production and provide enough expressed milk for her baby. Try to remove milk as often as it takes to collect enough for your next work day.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I have a Medela pump in style. I pumped 3 times a shift. As far as washing goes I store in ziplock bags while at work and store in fridge. Then once home I wash.
KSK0811
by Megan on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

1000 thank yous! My old boss gave me her medela pump in style with dried milk still in the tubing, so it's good to know that this is NO BUENO and could be in the motor! Won't be using this. lol Lots of good info here.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Lots of great info on preparing for your return to work here (when to start pumping, learning how to pump, how much milk to have stored before going back to work etc), I'll cut/paste the part on best pumps:

CafeMom Tickers
MooseMomma
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I work 12 hour overnights. (I'm an ER nurse).  I usually pump every 3-4 hours, if we aren't too busy. I use the wipes that Medla makes to wipe parts down in between sessions, and then wash parts and steam them in Medela's microwave bag before going home. I use a Medela Pump In Style Advanced.

(BBC=mrscorbin924)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I work tens at night, four days a week. I pump three times, generally, though lately I've been cutting back because we're nearing a year and I want to wean from the pump soon. I use the Medela Pump In Style. I rinse my parts between sessions and wash them with soap in the morning before I go back in.
Dvegas
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I pumped every 2 hours at work during an 8 hr shift. i would have loved to pump less but i didnt produce much milk so i needed to pump more often in order collect enough for his bottles for daycare the next day. I was lucky to have a nursing room with a sink and fridge at work. so i washed and stored my supplies at work. With my kid now 13months old he does not need breast milk anymore but i still give it to him. I mix it with whole milk. I only pump twice at work now and once before i go to bed.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I had a Medela Lactina rental. I couldn't afford to buy a decent pump. Never cleaned a THING at work... I had three sets of funnels, tossed the dirties ina  bag and washed at home only.

3 sessions per day.

kellymom127
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Medela PISA is what I have a really like it. I pump every three hours so that makes 3 times a day at work for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)