Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I found out something about fenugreek :(

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM
  • 22 Replies

I wanted to keep up my milk supply, so I bought the fenugreek capsules on Dec 24. At the time, I was pumping 5 oz every 3 hours at work. By December 25, I had diarrhea that lasted for 2 hours. From that point on, I had diarrhea everyday. Today at work, in a 6 hour time frame, I pumped 2 oz of milk. I didn't know what happened. So I started researching online. Fenugreek has the side effect of diarrhea. With me having diarrhea for a week straight, I'm dehydrated, even with me drinking 12 cups of water a day. So is there anything eles I can use to increase a milk supply. I didn't take my last capsule for the night (taking 3 a day) and I was able to pump 2oz out of the left and 3oz out of the right. My hope is that it will slowly increase back to where it was (4 oz out the left and 6 oz out the right).

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

i found that out! but i haven't had fenugreek in months and i'm still having the craps :-(

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Your pumping output is fantastic! Normal is 1/2-2 oz TOTAL for both breasts!

Oatmeal, mothers milk tea, and blessed thistle are also galactagaus (sp?) But they only help if there is an actual supply issue
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Have you tried oatmeal? It worked for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Your pump output is insane! That is so much more than normal so nothing is really going to make it increase. Those things only work when you really need to boost the supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Why do you need to up supply? You have more than enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janel09
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I eat oatmeal with flaxseed everymorning. Today I ate it around 6pm (didn't eat breakfast this morning). I keep oatmeal in my locker at work, and now the flaxseed comes with it. I also eat lactation cookies throughout my 8-hour shift. That is essentially a oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with brewer's yeast and flaxseed.

Quoting ColieO:

Have you tried oatmeal? It worked for me.

janel09
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

For nights like tonight. I worked late (1pm-10:30pm) and have to get back to work by 9am. My mom is watching my girls and she tends to give the baby 5oz of milk every 3 hours. It's the only way I can maintain my supply.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Quoting janel09:

I wanted to keep up my milk supply, so I bought the fenugreek capsules on Dec 24. At the time, I was pumping 5 oz every 3 hours at work.

Wait a sec... 15 ounces a day BEFORE you started fenugreek? Am I reading that right? Because that's extreme overachievement and you needed nothing.

By December 25, I had diarrhea that lasted for 2 hours. From that point on, I had diarrhea everyday. Today at work, in a 6 hour time frame, I pumped 2 oz of milk.

Sure... diarrhea dehydrates. Up your water to compensate.

I didn't know what happened. So I started researching online. Fenugreek has the side effect of diarrhea. With me having diarrhea for a week straight, I'm dehydrated, even with me drinking 12 cups of water a day.

Keep up the water... that's most improtant for you right now.

So is there anything eles I can use to increase a milk supply. I didn't take my last capsule for the night (taking 3 a day) and I was able to pump 2oz out of the left and 3oz out of the right.

That's HUGE. If you got two DROPS at night that would be a huge amount... pump output is worst at night.

My hope is that it will slowly increase back to where it was (4 oz out the left and 6 oz out the right).

That pump amount generally will not be maintained; I wouldn't worry about getting back to that point. You're already overachieving and should not be taking ANY galactagogues. Remember, baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're apart. NO MORE. More is overfeeding. If the caregiver is giving more, it's likely the caregiver needs to be taught how to bottle feed the breastfed baby and how to comcfort a child... the bottle is LAST resort never first.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Mom is over feeding. No more than 3ozs in 3 hours. Not 5. You would never be able to keep up with that insane amount.

Quoting janel09:

For nights like tonight. I worked late (1pm-10:30pm) and have to get back to work by 9am. My mom is watching my girls and she tends to give the baby 5oz of milk every 3 hours. It's the only way I can maintain my supply.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I agree. Remember OP, this is YOUR baby. I know you love your mom, but she needs to understand that BF babies' needs are different in terms of bottle feeding and that baby is not starving. I'm going to post a few articles by another member of this group. I suggest you print these out and have mom read. If necessary do not give any more milk to mom than necessary and be certain there is no formula that she could possibly use.

Quoting shortyali:

Mom is over feeding. No more than 3ozs in 3 hours. Not 5. You would never be able to keep up with that insane amount.

Quoting janel09:

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)