Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bottle feed/pump??

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my dd has been refusing bottle/reverse cycling.  She seems to be getting better each day with the bottle today she ate 8 out of her 12 ounces.  She is only bottle fed at the sitter and we nurse on demand when we are together.  Today my sitter recommended that this weekend I should continue to give her the 3 usual bottles that she gets during the week. I want to do whatever will make it easy for my dd while Im away but I hate pumping :(  Do yall think this is best??

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't do it! If your sitter is pushing you to do that she's kind of pushing you to wean, I mean not intentionally, but by urging you to give bottles when your home will make the baby confused. My opinion is, it's hard enough to leave the baby's, the sitter should be able to handle it while your gone. She'll get better, as she learns to handle you being gone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Nope. Not at all. It will NOT make her any more inclined to take a bottle and make more work for you.

lucaslexie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Don't do it! If your sitter is pushing you to do that she's kind of pushing you to wean, I mean not intentionally, but by urging you to give bottles when your home will make the baby confused. My opinion is, it's hard enough to leave the baby's, the sitter should be able to handle it while your gone. She'll get better, as she learns to handle you being gone.

that is what I was thinking but some days she will not drink her bottle at all (I know she is ok) but I dont want my sitter to quit watching her bc of her being fussy all day.  Each day she is getting better.  What if I did 1 bottle a day...??

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
SadieJames
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

How long are you separated from her? 12 oz in bottles sounds a tad high.  And I would bet money if you give her bottles when you're together you won't have to worry about her taking bottles much longer - she will start to prefer them and you'll end up asking how to get her back to the breast.  It's a delicate balance.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Nope! No good would come from that. Not even one bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I wouldn't! You've done well teaching her bottles are for when mommys not there. And really, I'm almost certain she would refuse a bottle from you, if she refuses from someone else.

Quoting lucaslexie:

Quoting mckinneymom918:

that is what I was thinking but some days she will not drink her bottle at all (I know she is ok) but I dont want my sitter to quit watching her bc of her being fussy all day.  Each day she is getting better.  What if I did 1 bottle a day...??

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Absolutely not! Babies who refuse bottles do it regardless of if they are given bottles every day. The only thing you would do in that situation is increase the chances that she will begin to refuse the breast!

Your baby is doing FINE!

lucaslexie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
She nurses around 4:30 am and I pick her up 5:30 pm.
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I would *not* be giving bottles at home. If baby only takes 8oz while you're gone then that's all she needs the. And she will make up for it when she is with you. The sitter needs to find ways to calm her if she is fussy but not eating. I leave 12oz a day for DS2. Some days he only takes 6, some days he will take all 12. It just depends on his mood and how close to drop off he ate. He always makes up for it when we get home. :) it did take about 2 days or so to find a bottle he could figure out though. So the sitter may just have to try different bottles until she finds one baby likes.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quoting lucaslexie:

NO bottles per day. Sorry. A caregiver who cannot handle a fussy baby without sticking a bottle in baby's mouth is NOT a caregiver to be kept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN