Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Birth control and breast feeding..

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 25 Replies

What is the best birth control to start looking into that will be best for an exclusively breast fed baby?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eatyourveges
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I have implanon which is safe while nursing. It's a 3 year commitment though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sassysilvergirl
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I think this depends on the person. Most of the pills will decrease your milk......I went on Mirena....then started gaining weight and losing my hair so I had that bad boy removed ASAP! They gave me the "mini pill" which can be 99.9% affective WITH a condom.....so I figured what's the point?? Why pay for it and use a condom?? Good luck in your search. Maybe I will get some advice as well.

MoPain
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

When I was taking it I started with the mini pill and after 6 months you can switch to the ring or the pill or whatever else you wanted to start that's what my doctor told me anyway. You can also get the implone sp. or IUD but I wasn't comfortable with either one of those. Good Luck

arigdon4
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

That may work but DH and I talked about it and we decided we want to try again when DS is 18-24mo so maybe not....I just didn't really want to do a daily pill again.

Quoting eatyourveges:

mommaslilmen
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

that depends on you really. your going to need an estrogen free option. personally i can't use anything that uses hormones or is an iud, natural family planning is impractical for us, and we both hate condoms...so we have very limited on options

implanon, depo, condoms, natural family planning, mini pill, iud's, diaphragm, spermicide, pull and pray, sterilization

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Non hormonal is optimal. That often means condoms, often paired with Natural Family PLanning (see "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler).

Paragard IUD is also non hormonal if you're planning a long span between babies, or no more babies. But if you're looking at the latter, vasectomy is even better.

Other options: Minipill, Mirena IUD, Depo Provera. All have progestin only but some women report problems, from supply dipes to mood swings to bleeding that won't stop. And the minipill MUST be taken at the same time daily.

NO estrogen pills. So no full strength birth control pills.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM
NFP for us. Check out Couple to Couple League for the best information.
eatyourveges
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I got pregnant with my second on the pill (taken properly) so I didn't want to do that again. We need a bigger house for another kid and our budget should allow that in three years so this was perfect for us.

What about the shot? I'm not sure if that's ok with nursing or not.

Also, the mini- pill isn't as effective as the regular pill.

Quoting arigdon4:

That may work but DH and I talked about it and we decided we want to try again when DS is 18-24mo so maybe not....I just didn't really want to do a daily pill again.

Quoting eatyourveges:

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I did mirena after my son. Depo shot 4 weeks pp with this one, I did not have a supply problem- if anything I had an over supply. But I switched to the mini pill instead of getting another shot until I can schedule to get my tubes tied, hopefully this month.
lovemyhoney19
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM
You can remove it after a year. I did and got pregnant right away. I'm not good at remembering a pill every day and we don't want anymore kids so I might go on it again if Dh doesn't get snipped because I will not have my tubes tied.

Quoting arigdon4:

Quoting eatyourveges:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)