Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone on FB--Check this out--CA CPS took a mom's baby for BF!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

https://www.facebook.com/breastfeedingissues/posts/511942245504503?comment_id=5776427¬if_t=like

Full Text for those not on FB:

Anonymous says:

A friend of mine had her 9wk old baby taken away from her by CA CPS 2.5 weeks ago on the groundss of neglect.

Baby was born at 7lbs 2.5oz and had an initial weight loss of 13%. Baby was not even 3 days old before doctors started pushing formula supplementation down her throat. Momma supplemented with own pumped milk and donor milk. However, baby had slow weight gain. Baby would gain for a few days then not gain the next few days. Doctors labeled baby as failure to thrive based on the poor weight gain, development and other growth was “on track”

2.5 weeks ago, the doctor was not satifisfied with the progress the baby and momma were making(increasse/continued gain and poop daily vs the every 5 days baby was doing and littlke to no spit up which also had been an issue) thus leading to a 72 hour observation. This was her second observational hospital stay, both times with the doctors seemingly bullying her into stop breastfeeding and trying alternative feeding methods (formula/mixed feeding/etc.)

My friend has worked her butt off trying to figure out her daughter's growth issues. She has altered her diet to exclude dairy and soy, and has sought donor milk to insure she had enough mama's milk. At this last hospital stay, the doctors forbid her from breastfeeding, and was told she needed to bottle feed for the remainder of their observation. When being interviewed by CPS, her daughter started fussing. They didn't yet have any bottles ready/available, so my friend offered her daughter her breast for a couple minutes to comfort her. Immediately, the CPS agent was up in arms about her somehow sabotaging the plan that was yet to be in place, and within 24 hours her daughter was placed into ”protective custody.”

Momma has watched the doctors perform various tests to determine why baby was gaining so slowly. Blood, urine, stool, sweat, allergy, etc She has done everything to work with the doctors while still being a breastfeeding/breastmilk advocate. Momma even saw lactation consultants who observed baby and latch without any problems.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? What should my friend do to regain custody? Her daughter is now practically being force fed a mix of formula and fortified breastmiilk at a rate of 4oz every hour and a half. Pretty much every time the baby cries. Baby is now 11weeks old. Baby is also now the opposite of what she was..she was a very happy and alert baby but is now more towards the lethargic side and sleeps way more than she was.

Can you believe this has happened to a mother doing everything she can for her baby??

Thanks for any info or suggestions.
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
5 moms liked this

Somehow this doesn't ring right, Monica. CPS doesn't take kids for this. Hell, you can barely get them to take kids for unsafe living situations! (My BIL would have/SHOULD have lost his daughter a year ago for that.)

CPS is not a state agency. It's COUNTY.

lovemyhoney19
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
That's odd. I've seen situations with family members in which neglect was more than obvious and worse than what you described and the kids weren't taken until after a long time from when the problems started.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleRedRose33
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I truly think there is more to the story...my daughter was early and lost weight prior to being discharged. She has always been on little curve...my daughter is 9 and weighs 47 pounds...

IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this
That's stupid someone was out to get that women.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
4 moms liked this
The mom of failure to thrive breastfed children (one got feeding tube as baby), RN (L&D) and IBCLC parts of me all say there's more to the story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.Martinez201
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I agree there's something missing

Quoting IrishIz:

The mom of failure to thrive breastfed children (one got feeding tube as baby), RN (L&D) and IBCLC parts of me all say there's more to the story.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I wonder how you could find out if this is true or made up..it just sounds fishy to me. If it's NOT made up then the whole story is definitely not there....

BabyFruit Ticker

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I agree there has to be more to this story. The moms always claim that everyone is out to get them and they are doing everything right, but it takes a LOT of evidence to have a child removed from the home. (Speaking as a current foster mom)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Personally I do believe this because I almost had my daughter taken. It only takes the right wording. I don't trust these officials

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Breast is Best is working directly with this momma!

Quoting gdiamante:

Somehow this doesn't ring right, Monica. CPS doesn't take kids for this. Hell, you can barely get them to take kids for unsafe living situations! (My BIL would have/SHOULD have lost his daughter a year ago for that.)

CPS is not a state agency. It's COUNTY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)