Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help with BF

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
Sam is 3 months old and 3 days old today. He started daycare 2 days ago when I went back to work. I pump 2 times during work and can get between 5 and 6 oz per session which is enough for the next day. My problem is that when we get home he doesnt want to nurse a lot like he used ti. He gets 3 bottles with 3 oz of bm during the day. We usually feed in demand and I barely gave bottles and now when he foes nurse he does it only on one side for less than 5 minutes. He has 8 to 10 wet diapers a day. Is this notmal. I thought they need to feed at least 15 min on each side. advice is greatly appreciated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

None of my kids nursed more than 10 min tops, even as newborns.  I have a super fast let down, so they get all their meal real quick.

As long as he's gaining weight and wetting enough diapers, he's good. 

MollyJmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I never count minutes just count diapers. how long is he at daycare? and when does he get his last bottle? My dd nursed shorter but more frequently for a couple of months around that age and then went back to nursing longer. Just remember his mouth is extremely good at getting milk out so it may not take him long. are you letting down each time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
How long is he at day care. Do you nurse right before you feed him? Any bottles while your together?
As babies get older they get more efficient. Some babies only ever take 1 breast.
Make sure baby isn't getting more then 1-1.25oz per hr of seperation. (8-10oz for 8hrs at daycare) no bottles ever while your together.
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Mine is the opposite. Even if she just had a bottle her little lips are smacking as soon as she sees/hears me lol. Best of luck to you.
Demerise
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Exactly what Melinda has said. :)

My 8 month old usually nurses for 5 mins. But never anymore than 10 mins. One side.

Best of luck!

Quoting melindabelcher:

How long is he at day care. Do you nurse right before you feed him? Any bottles while your together?

As babies get older they get more efficient. Some babies only ever take 1 breast.

Make sure baby isn't getting more then 1-1.25oz per hr of seperation. (8-10oz for 8hrs at daycare) no bottles ever while your together.

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
This. And I would also recommend requesting your sitter not give a bottle less than 1.5 hrs before you pick him up.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Jenoon
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM
He is ebf and feeds on demand. I feed him before dropping him off. He is there for 8 hours exactly. The last time he is fed is around 3 which is an hour or so before i pick him up. we only so bottles in daycare. he seems to be distracted a lot when fed and prefers to eat only when about to sleep

Quoting melindabelcher:

christineT79
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

My baby is 4 months old & nurses for under 10 minutes on one side every feeding. It scared me to death when she first started doing that. When she was teeny tiny she would nurse for an hour, then it went down to 45 mins, then a half hour, then 15 mins then 5 to 10 mins where we are now. Apparently its totally normal as they get really good at nursing & so does your body. As long as your getting all of your diaper counts baby is growing & meeting milestones I think your good :)

Dvegas
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

AS long as he is wetting his diaper often which it sounds like he is 8-10 is good and as long as he is gaining weight then he is fine. My baby only nursed 5 minutes at a time starting at that time and by each check up he put on a good amount of weight.

luna321
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I remember being so worried around that age because my son only nursed for 5 min. on one side too. So I took him to the doctor for a weight check and he was gaining more than enough. He was just getting good at nursing and my let down was fast. Keep an eye on the diapers not the clock. I had to hide all the clocks so I would stop being neurotic about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)