Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it normal?!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 23 Replies
When im away n i leave milk for my son id notice dat he drinks abt 6 oz every 2 to 3 hrs is dat normal for a 2 mth old baby to drink dat much?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM
NO. WAAAY TOO MUCH! That's a huge supply killer. 1-1.25 oz per hour no more than 3oz at a time. That's all you will offer unil weaning!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Baby is being overfed. 3 ounces ever 2 or 3 hours is all he needs. Always with a slow flow nipple and burped after every ounce. You won't be able to keep up with pumping that much as he gets older.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Your child care taker is largely overfeeding!
While away you need to aim to pump every 3hrs and on one side while baby nurses on the other first thing in the morning every morning (even when you don't work)
While away your child needs to be left 1-1.25oz per hr of seperation (8-10oz for an 8hr shift) leave milk in bottles of 2-3oz and care taker feeds every 2-3hrs. Always slow flow nipples. This is forever how much baby will need. Your milk adjusts to meet needs.
How long has he been taking bottles that large. If it's new immediately cut back to appropiate sizes if it's been going on for a couple weeks start by cutting back 1oz out of the bottles a.week.
proudmama11212
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Its been going on since i startd to wrk which was 1 mth ago n well i do use the 2 to 3 oz bottles bt he usually drinks 2 of dem den falls asleep wit my mom he drink 1 (3oz bottle) n 1/2 den goes to sleep n sometimes instead of milk she gives him water or tea so he wnt be too hungry

Quoting melindabelcher:

While away you need to aim to pump every 3hrs and on one side while baby nurses on the other first thing in the morning every morning (even when you don't work)

While away your child needs to be left 1-1.25oz per hr of seperation (8-10oz for an 8hr shift) leave milk in bottles of 2-3oz and care taker feeds every 2-3hrs. Always slow flow nipples. This is forever how much baby will need. Your milk adjusts to meet needs.

How long has he been taking bottles that large. If it's new immediately cut back to appropiate sizes if it's been going on for a couple weeks start by cutting back 1oz out of the bottles a.week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Slow down the feedings. Feed an oz, burp, switch arms and repeat. A 3oz bottle needs to take 15-20 minutes so it gives the brain to register that its full. Also make sure bottle is slow flow nipple.

Quoting proudmama11212:

Its been going on since i startd to wrk which was 1 mth ago n well i do use the 2 to 3 oz bottles bt he usually drinks 2 of dem den falls asleep wit my mom he drink 1 (3oz bottle) n 1/2 den goes to sleep n sometimes instead of milk she gives him water or tea so he wnt be too hungry

Quoting melindabelcher:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Babies will eat whatever they're offered because frankly with a bottle, even the slowest flow nipple , it's drink or drown.  Baby should not be given more than 2-3 oz every 2-3 hrs. 1 oz per hour that you are seperated from baby is all baby will ever need. The amount for a bf baby never increases because unlike formula the milk changes to fit babies needs.

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Whoa! A breastfed baby should NEVER get anything but breastmilk. Google virgin gut. Also NO  water before 6 months of age , google water intoxication, baby can DIE. YOu need to go to kellymom.com & print out the  sheet on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. It's NOT the same as a formula fed baby.

Quoting proudmama11212:

Quoting melindabelcher:

BabyFruit Ticker

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Yeah that is very very dangerous, please make her stop doing that!

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/

http://www.ivillage.com/water-dangerous-newborns/6-n-136991

Quoting mamabens:

Whoa! A breastfed baby should NEVER get anything but breastmilk. Google virgin gut. Also NO  water before 6 months of age , google water intoxication, baby can DIE. YOu need to go to kellymom.com & print out the  sheet on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. It's NOT the same as a formula fed baby.

Quoting proudmama11212:

Quoting melindabelcher:

proudmama11212
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Believe me i tell nt to do dat bt she claims that she did it wit me n my silblings -.- den she gets my aunts on my case abt it i already told her if she keeps doin dat den im nt leavin da baby in her care anymore

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting proudmama11212:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Mom loses all sitter privileges until she can follow the rules! That is DANGEROUS!!

Quoting proudmama11212:

Believe me i tell nt to do dat bt she claims that she did it wit me n my silblings -.- den she gets my aunts on my case abt it i already told her if she keeps doin dat den im nt leavin da baby in her care anymore

Quoting jjchick75:

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting proudmama11212:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN