Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm doing the right thing... right?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 19 Replies
My dd is two weeks old today. We went to her check up and her pediatrician is "very concerned" that she is not up to her birth weight yet and wants me to supplement her two or threw times a day with an ounce or two of breastmilk or formula to make sure she is "getting enough".

Her birth weight was 9lb 2oz.. We were discharged 24 hours later and she was 8lb 10oz. At her 5 day check up she was 8lb 9 oz (my milk came in the day before). Today she was 9lb even, so only 2oz shy of birth weight.

She goes through PLENTY of diapers each day and I feed her on demand, which is usually about every got and a half or so with longer stretches at night.

I pretty much just smiled and nodded but I don't plan on supplementing her with so small of a "deficit" in her weight gain. We have to go back next week for another weight check. I guess I just need some reassurance that this is the right decision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I think she is fine.  She doesnt need a supplement

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, the smile and nod was correct. I have to say if they're starting this on you now, I'm not sure it's going to get better with them. Breastfed babies get 2-3 weeks to regain birthweight. And you said yourself that you're seeing lots of diapers so you can logically assume its going in. And a 9 lb 2-week old is nothing to sneeze at either way. It's sounds like you're doing great and you have the right to feel confidence in that.
jamie62604
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I think your doing great! As long as she has a good diaper count, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers on the scale! I *think* the normal weight gain for a bf baby is around 1/2 an ounce per day.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
This!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Yes, the smile and nod was correct. I have to say if they're starting this on you now, I'm not sure it's going to get better with them. Breastfed babies get 2-3 weeks to regain birthweight. And you said yourself that you're seeing lots of diapers so you can logically assume its going in. And a 9 lb 2-week old is nothing to sneeze at either way. It's sounds like you're doing great and you have the right to feel confidence in that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

If it were ME I'd find a new doc & not go to the weight check. You know everything is ok, so ignore doc.

BabyFruit Ticker

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM
My son didn't get up to his birth weight until 3 weeks.
I never supplemented and he was ebf until 7 months when I added solids.
Trust your mommy instincts your baby is perfect!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsdlover
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Your doctor is going to be a problem if they are 'concerned' over such a small amount of weight.  She is doing well! 

piwife
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM
New doc.... you are doing great. It took my daugher a whole month too get to birth weight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
She's fine. No worries!

Quoting purvislets:

My dd is two weeks old today. We went to her check up and her pediatrician is "very concerned" that she is not up to her birth weight yet and wants me to supplement her two or threw times a day with an ounce or two of breastmilk or formula to make sure she is "getting enough".

Her birth weight was 9lb 2oz.. We were discharged 24 hours later and she was 8lb 10oz. At her 5 day check up she was 8lb 9 oz (my milk came in the day before). Today she was 9lb even, so only 2oz shy of birth weight.

She goes through PLENTY of diapers each day and I feed her on demand, which is usually about every got and a half or so with longer stretches at night.

I pretty much just smiled and nodded but I don't plan on supplementing her with so small of a "deficit" in her weight gain. We have to go back next week for another weight check. I guess I just need some reassurance that this is the right decision.
justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
New doc. If I remember correctly, the lowest weight is what doc should be looking at, so she's actually surpassed.

Congrats on the new baby!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)