Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

dairy-free for baby

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm considering eliminating dairy to see if it helps DDs reflux. My question is, do you have to do a full elimination to see a difference if it's an issue? Or does every bit help and just greatly reducing is worth a try? I ask because we are big dairy consumers. I decided this yesterday evening and intended to start right away. It felt like I did because I skipped my nightly glass of chocolate milk, and my midnight snack of string cheese. Today I skipped having yogurt for breakfast and milk with my lunch. But what I didn't pay attention to until after the fact was that I used sour cream and cheese on my fajita for dinner and had leftover 5-cheese ziti and bread and butter for lunch. And I picked up a package of cream cheese for bagels just now at the store. I don't know why I didn't notice all those at the time, I'm sure it's just something I'd have to get used to looking out for.

So, I'm asking how much I need to watch the dairy intake. Is it all or nothing? Must I completely eliminate ALL dairy consumption in order to know if it's affecting her? Or is things like milk and butter in a recipe okay? What about some cheese here and there? I never realized just how dairy-dependent our current diet is.

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
How old is your baby?
Why symptoms is baby displaying that you think you need to eliminate dairy?
Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM

She's 5 months, 6 on the 13th. She has been on meds for reflux since about 4 weeks old, but we hate doing meds, especially the one she's on now, nexium. I've just heard that sometimes mom's diet can cause it and it seems selfish to continue giving her meds if I can make it better just by giving something up. Of course all the women in my family have reflux, so if any sort of elimination diet isn't likely to change anything, I'd rather keep my milk :)

Quoting Junebaby18:

How old is your baby?
Why symptoms is baby displaying that you think you need to eliminate dairy?

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Everything must go. Its not just milk, chees butter either. You will need to read the labels of everything. Looking for any words like the obv milk but also whey and cassiene.
It will take 4-6weeks before you see any improvement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
How much more can i take .. between deaths in the family and friends .. we now have a stomach bug in the house .. :/ ..
Yesterday at 6:37 AM
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM
if your going to take milk away I would also suggest soy as well ! And I hate to say it but milk and soy are in almost everything :( ..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Have you looked at overactive letdown as a cause for her reflux?  My poor boys had a triple-whammy--my overactive letdown, dairy allergies and soy sensitivities, AND actual GERD.  They have both been on and off meds since they were newborns but we're currently doing prevacid for both of them.

With dairy allergies, you'll typically see a few of these symptoms: low weight gain, eczema, ear infections, reflux, gas/tummy pain, skin rashes, constipation or diarrhea, blood in stool, runny/stuffy nose.  You may not see all of them or even more than one, but most people see a few.  For us it was eczema, ear infections, reflux, and nasal stuff.

When you eliminate for an allergy, you need to completely eliminate all dairy, including hidden dairy (anything that has a milk allergy warning, or contains casein).  It will take 2-3 weeks to get all of the protein out of your system and then another 2-3 weeks for it to completely leave your dd's system, so 4-6 weeks of no slip-ups for it to be completely gone.

Some moms are able to eliminate only overt dairy--milk, cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt--and that is enough to help relieve their LO's symptoms if it's jsut a sensitivity.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Dairy elimination means just that. Eliminated. Absolutely NONE. But overactive letdown does often cause the symptoms you describe so I'd look at that FIRST.

luna321
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I don't know about your question but wanted to say we don't do dairy and you get used to whatever milk you pick to replace cow milk, we do almond. I use unsweetened almond milk in recipes and that works also Earth Balance makes non-hydrogenated dairy free margarine which I use in recipes. Not a fan of fake cheese but there are lots of "cheesy" recipes that use things like ground cashews and nutritional yeast. If you want recipes (I have tons) or mare advice pm me!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I would take ALL dairy out at first, that means you have to read labels too. you can use almond milk or another milk instread of regular, you can use coconut oil instead of butter, and they make yogurt that is nondairy, like with coconut milk, almond milk or soy (however I stay away from soy products). No cheese either, maybe do this for about 4 (some wait until 6) weeks and then slowly add in butter, yogurt and then cheese and then milk, of course waiting between all of these to see if it has an effect on her

Mommy2Phenley
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Yes, I do have over active letdown. We discovered that a few months ago. But even doing things to help that didn't stop the reflux. It did ease some tummy pain, she was colicky before. But the reflux still warranted meds.

Of the dairy allergy symptoms you listed, she has reflux, eczema, and gas pain. And her reflux has actually let up some, we were hoping we could quit the meds. She didn't get them for almost a week due to rsv and just missing it. I didn't want to start them again but she's needing something.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Have you looked at overactive letdown as a cause for her reflux?  My poor boys had a triple-whammy--my overactive letdown, dairy allergies and soy sensitivities, AND actual GERD.  They have both been on and off meds since they were newborns but we're currently doing prevacid for both of them.

With dairy allergies, you'll typically see a few of these symptoms: low weight gain, eczema, ear infections, reflux, gas/tummy pain, skin rashes, constipation or diarrhea, blood in stool, runny/stuffy nose.  You may not see all of them or even more than one, but most people see a few.  For us it was eczema, ear infections, reflux, and nasal stuff.

When you eliminate for an allergy, you need to completely eliminate all dairy, including hidden dairy (anything that has a milk allergy warning, or contains casein).  It will take 2-3 weeks to get all of the protein out of your system and then another 2-3 weeks for it to completely leave your dd's system, so 4-6 weeks of no slip-ups for it to be completely gone.

Some moms are able to eliminate only overt dairy--milk, cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt--and that is enough to help relieve their LO's symptoms if it's jsut a sensitivity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN