Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So this guy friend of mine keeps telling me to rub whiskey on my six month old's gums to help with teething. I keep telling him that I don't think giving alcohol, even just on the gums, to a baby is a good idea. He keeps pushing it everytime I talk to him. I keep thinking, "Dude...this is MY baby...why on earth are you pushing this opinion of yours so forcefully?"

Now, I don't condemn other mothers who have done this...I just don't want to. So, comments? Suggestions on getting him to stop pushing it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Replies (11-16):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Yeah alot of my local natural mommas do whiskey for teeth, not a fan myself. But i think its strange hes so pushy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
birdiemom
by Allison on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM
My mom keeps pushing whiskey on the gums. Says it worked for me... Thankfully he's been really good about teething and looks adorable in his amber teething necklace.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM
I think a lot of people equate a sleeping baby for a "good baby", so a little whiskey and water will knock you out and then your stomach doesn't bother you then.

My grandma is in her 90's and still chugging along fine, which she swears she owes to her gin-soaked raisins, eating honey with apple cider vinegar. I know they have found some of these home remedies have some merit but even if the whiskey works for teething and colic, I'm not boozing the baby.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

how on earth would whiskey help an upset tummy? lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM

ive never heard of gin soaked raisons? love apple cider vinegar tho.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think a lot of people equate a sleeping baby for a "good baby", so a little whiskey and water will knock you out and then your stomach doesn't bother you then.

My grandma is in her 90's and still chugging along fine, which she swears she owes to her gin-soaked raisins, eating honey with apple cider vinegar. I know they have found some of these home remedies have some merit but even if the whiskey works for teething and colic, I'm not boozing the baby.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

how on earth would whiskey help an upset tummy? lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My grandparents, too. And whiskey and water in a bottle for baby's upset stomach.

Quoting JaxMomma78:

My grandparents used to do it for us. It's an old wives tale. The alcohol would help put baby to sleep. This was before they knew about sids.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Check out www.hazelaid.com, that's where I get ours. Pricey, but I know they aren't fakes.

Quoting CV3:

Amber necklace?

Quoting larissalarie:

Tell him you aren't going to do it and it's not up for discussion anymore, then completely ignore him if he stars in.

I highly recommend an amber necklace if you don't already have one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM
When we were a bit older we got a half a shot of blackberry brandy when we had a cold. It "helped us sleep"

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting JaxMomma78:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)