Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of becoming a Lactation Consultant

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this
I love breastfeeding!! So much. its the greatest thing I have ever done. I really cant say enough how much I LOVE IT!
With my first child, I know for a fact the reason I didnt succeed was lack of info and I hyad absolutely no access to a LC
I was looking online and there are only about 26000 LCs in the world. Thats so sad to me. In comparison to the numbers of new mothers and children born in the world everyday- that number is strikingly low
I wanted to be a nurse for a while but for the past two months I have really thinking of becoming a LC.
Well I decided for sure thats what I am doing today
One thing that is holding me back from going to school is the time away from Abigail. The cost of daycare and Abby being so young is just too much. We make too much for assistance but too little to cover everything. Now the University of California San Diego offers the Lactation course online. Then I will have to go to Florida at the end for my final test! SO worth it and we will probably make it a family vacation.
Im calling the University tomorrow and finding out the costs and how financial aid works, student loans and things like that. Im so excited.
I dont need my nursing degree to work at the hospital here in our town. just the lactation license/certification. The starting pay is a bit lower but its fine with me. Im doing it because I want to. I feel like I could make suchy a difference and enable babies to get the best thing ever!
I am just so excited right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Great, let me know how it works for you, as i am interested as well.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Congrats :) I am glad you found a field that makes you happy.

Are there places in your area hiring though?

WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
well I wont be working until a few years
however the demand is expected to grow in my area and I spoke to someone in Human Resources at our hospital today and they said they just hired someone but since there is expected growth- that in a few years there will probably be job openings.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Congrats :) I am glad you found a field that makes you happy.

Are there places in your area hiring though?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Distance learning does scare me a bit. Make sure your school has regional accreditation before you start paying them.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yay! Do it. Have you joined la leche league? I know that a la leche league leader can get hours countrd toward theie ibclc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM
they do
the IBLCE recommends them on their website.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Distance learning does scare me a bit. Make sure your school has regional accreditation before you start paying them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I have not
thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into it.

Quoting Precious333:

Yay! Do it. Have you joined la leche league? I know that a la leche league leader can get hours countrd toward theie ibclc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.bombshell.
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Then help me figure out how to get my 4 day old dd to nurse longer lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM
try nursing her topless and her with nothing but a diaper
I have no training yet at all lol but thats what the LC in the hospital told me when I had Abigail back in September

Quoting .bombshell.:

Then help me figure out how to get my 4 day old dd to nurse longer lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I'm working on becoming an IBCLC. But I'm going the RN route, haha. I'm going to start doing webinars on the 10th to start earning CERPS, though and then come income tax time, I'm going to start some breastfeeding specific courses and then all I gotta do is get ahold of a LC to get the clinicals started- that's seeming to be the hardest part so far. But only because i live in the sticks, lol. DH is looking for jobs in a bigger area so that would be better as far as that goes.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)